i want to program a videogame. I bought c++ for dummies and have read it but from there im lost on what to do. Any help is appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

>i want to program a videogame.
I'd estimate that 99% of beginners start programming because they want to make games.

>I bought c++ for dummies
Hmm, I'm generally hostile toward "for Dummies" books because they're more often than not "by Dummies" as well. The quality of these books hasn't impressed me over the years. I'd recommend you pick up Accelerated C++ for a healthy introduction to the parts of C++ that you'll find yourself using 90% of the time.

>but from there im lost on what to do
Well, try writing a game. It doesn't have to be simple, most of us have written the number guessing game at least once. Most likely you're confused because you want a graphical game, but your programming ability probably isn't quite there yet. Fortunately, you can do a lot of programming without touching graphics.

Yeah you can't just magicly make a game it requires lots of prictice and time

I also have C++ for dummies it's really not that good of a book and graphics even 2D graphics are mind bendingly hard in C++

well if its so hard to make graphics then why is it the most used proggraming language?

>well if its so hard to make graphics then why is it the most used proggraming language?
Presumably you mean why is it the most used language for games. A lot of C++ (most of it, I would wager) is written without the need for graphics. But to answer your question, there are two pretty obvious reasons:

1. There's a great deal more to choosing an implementation language than how easy it is to make pretty pictures.
  2. Game developers tend to be both talented and experienced, and they focus on such things. Much like writing compilers is "mind bendingly hard in C++" for the average programmer, those of us that work in the field aren't nearly as intimidated.
commented: well said +31

Also, it's no harder to work with graphics in C++ than it is to work with graphics in (nearly) any other language. Possibly easier.. since OpenGL is a C library, and OpenGL is, IMHO, the nicest way to work with (3D) graphics.. :)

I agree with MattEvans.
C++ and OpenGL are the nicest way to create games.
I know some C/C++, Java, very little C#, some Java and a good deal of ActionScript.
Right now I'm learning OpenGL and LOVING it.
Now, if you're just starting, try creating text based games and practice a lot creating algorhythms. When you're comfortable with programming - in ANY language - then move on to graphics.
And then you will know what will be the best choice based on what kind of games you want to create and what kind of language is more suitable for that.
I've created (very very simple) games in Flash and Java.
When I'm finally feeling comfortable with OpenGL you can be sure I'll try some simple games with that. Believe me, C++ OpenGL rocks!

I agree with MattEvans.
C++ and OpenGL are the nicest way to create games.
I know some C/C++, Java, very little C#, some Java and a good deal of ActionScript.
Right now I'm learning OpenGL and LOVING it.
Now, if you're just starting, try creating text based games and practice a lot creating algorhythms. When you're comfortable with programming - in ANY language - then move on to graphics.
And then you will know what will be the best choice based on what kind of games you want to create and what kind of language is more suitable for that.
I've created (very very simple) games in Flash and Java.
When I'm finally feeling comfortable with OpenGL you can be sure I'll try some simple games with that. Believe me, C++ OpenGL rocks!

hi marcosjp,

what can be the easy language to learn game programming for dummies ?

what can be the easy language to learn game programming for dummies ?

Game programming for dummies doesn't exist. That's like saaying : "being really smart: for stupid people" .
FIRST learn to program in the language of your choice (Python is a nice language to start with for example), and when you understand the language really (really) well, start with game programming. Also: Know your math!

well if its so hard to make graphics then why is it the most used proggraming language?

Because, you compare C++ to other alternatives, and you'll find most of them to be even more hard.

Game programming for dummies doesn't exist. That's like saaying : "being really smart: for stupid people" .
FIRST learn to program in the language of your choice (Python is a nice language to start with for example), and when you understand the language really (really) well, start with game programming. Also: Know your math!

And, how computer work as well.
The thing that most lay people don't know, that I find interesting, is that your CPU can only run one thing at a time. So, when you see all your tasks running in memory, it may seem like everything is running at once, but in reality it's not. The graphics used to make your screen visible, any input recieved from the keyboard, maybe even the music you're listening to, all happen in pieces - one at a time.

So, when you see all your tasks running in memory, it may seem like everything is running at once, but in reality it's not.

Except that 3D graphics is one place where you can work with "genuinely" parallel processes - i.e. a graphics card typically has it's own independant CPU.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.