I have seen private servers with custom models for
WoW, but I have never seen custom terrain created or zones/instances. When I have asked, people always tell me it is much too complicated to do terrain. Any ideas to why this is? Just curious. I remember once I jumped off a map in real WoW server and my char completely froze and was completely unable to do anything so I would surmise that the code of how the objects will behave is somehow tied to the terrain?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

as for creating your own terrain, thats gets really deep into the mechanics of the game. You would have to have the tools that the artists/programmers have at blizzard. I'm sure they have to make a level, add a bunch of crazy collision algorithms (prolly written in c++), then compile it into the game, make sure every thing runs right... lots of work. [At least what I think,] you would have to have the progs and code from blizzard to do it ^^ hope that helps

You know creating a terrain from heightmap is not hard. Its
actually easy once you understand the concept.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.