Hello everyone this is my first post on this forum... Though I am a member of several.

Just thought I would share some information with all the people out there who want to know more about c++ game programming.

Firstly if you want to make graphical games you need something called a graphics engine like opengl or directx..

The graphics engine only handles the graphics for the game though some do come with basic collision functions etc.

You can get a engine which has the whole package, sound engine, graphics engine physic engine etc which is a good idea.

Each game or graphic engine is basically just a lot of functions that get imbedded or attach onto your compiler. You declare it in your code and then you can be free to use the functions.

3D programming is quite difficult to get the dimensions right and getting everything working because it uses a XYZ Axis and some of its inverted.

I would suggest starting of with a engine like allegro its a 2d engine that canbe made into a 3d engine it is quite useful but if you want to jump right in I suggest OpenGl or directx a simple google search will give you more info. OpenGl has a very large community though.

Also not to crush dreams but it is is next to impossible to make a game like GTA etc by yourself... Think about all the sounds that go into that game the different textures all have to be made.. Though not to say you cannot make lengthy good games.. You can get terrain builders that intergrate into your compiler open source sounds and textures and these are also quite easy to find.

My advice is to start small and work your way up, with big projects plan them out and break them down into smaller more managable bits.

If your interested in programming in C++ particually in games feel free to sign up to my community at <removed plug for external link>

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

moved

>Firstly if you want to make graphical games you need something
>called a graphics engine like opengl or directx
They're more commonly referred to as libraries, as they provide the lowest interface with the video card without having to write card-specific instructions. An engine is usually something written over top of the API, so in this case a graphics engine would refer to a wrapper library that encapsulates OpenGL or DirectX APIs.

>Each game or graphic engine is basically just a lot of functions that
>get imbedded or attach onto your compiler.
No... the linker simply links any static libraries from the game engine with your program at compile-time, and dynamic libraries are linked at runtime. They aren't "embedded" in the linker, much less the compiler.

>3D programming is quite difficult to get the dimensions right and getting
>everything working because it uses a XYZ Axis and some of its inverted.
You aren't making any sense. "Getting dimensions right"? Of what? "Some of it's inverted"? Some of the axis is inverted?

And you dont necesarially need DirectX or OpenGL

> And you dont necesarially need DirectX or OpenGL
Explain and elaborate.

if you want to make graphical games you need something called a graphics engine like opengl or directx..

you dont. There are many. Also "graphical games" is very broad. One could potentially write a textmode C game using only the standard libary, or god forbid, program a game entirely in assembley code

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.