Hey everyone,

I've been the IT at my workplace for about 2 years now. We use a piece of software that was developed in house by one of the previous ITs (about 6 years ago), and I think it was developed in VB6. We need to modify a couple of things in the software, but he didn't leave the source code when he left. Is there a way to decompile the .exe file we're using to access the source code so that we can modify it?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I know it is not answer you want, but I don't believe you can decompile the exe

Denis

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Not a chance, no. Good luck though!

There is such tool, but it works only for pcode. All names of variables and functions are lost of course. Nevertheless, you will obtain something what can be modified and compiled again. But if is your application compiled to native there is no chance to fully restore source - not in my knowledge.

I am attaching a PDF for you with some usefull links. READ THE DISCLAIMER PROPERLY BEFORE ATTEMPTING REVERSE ENGINEERING. YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, BEFORE DOING SO.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.