I would like to know what are those step in making the compliler?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Step #1: Get a Ph.D. from a good university. After you get that you will have all the knowledge you need to design and write your own compiler.

Don't believe me? well, if you don't then read this thread.

Haha. Of course, getting a Ph.D. won't necessarily get you the knowledge you need to make a compiler unless you do it once. And of course, you don't need a Ph.D. to get the knowledge either. Heck, a Ph.D. in chemistry wouldn't give you compiler-making skills :)

Making a compiler is not actually a big deal. Using tools such as LLVM, making a compiler is relatively easy. At least you don't have to worry much about code generation, and parsing is not hard. (And I'm not saying you'll make an optimizing compiler or anything, just one that compiles to the LLVM intermediate language.)

Making a C compiler and making it useful will take some time and diligence -- you have to get the grammar right, look at the standards, and so on. Who would want to do that?

Haha. Of course, getting a Ph.D. won't necessarily get you the knowledge you need to make a compiler unless you do it once. And of course, you don't need a Ph.D. to get the knowledge either. Heck, a Ph.D. in chemistry wouldn't give you compiler-making skills :)

Yes -- he wasn't very specific about what he wanted. Getting a Ph.D. in computer science should provide adequate background to making a compiler. Afterall, Dr. Stroustrup did it :)

But to be a little more helpful, he might want to use these tools.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.