Hey, im new to programming and i am using Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days (http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/) to help me, but when i make the code for the "hello world" i dont no how to compile it and link it, im using crimson editor and i downloaded Borland C++ compiler and think i installed it but it said about making cfg files in the bin directory and i dont know how to do that, if this makes sense to anyone can you please help lol? Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I'm not familiar with Crimson Editor, but if you've got the BC 5.5 I've used that command-line compiler. If you're more comfortable with starting in a GUI IDE, I'd recommend looking into Code::Blocks (and get a recent nightly build).

lol i probly havnt looked into this enough, whats a GUI IDE

GUI IDE - or follow the previous link.

lol i probly havnt looked into this enough, whats a GUI IDE

Integrated Development Environment.
Crimson editor is an IDE, but Codeblocks is a much better one, IMHO.

I use it with the g++ compiler which is much superior to that Borland antique.
This is especially important to someone who is just learning. The g++ is more strict and gives a good error output. Sometimes the thing is down right informative!

Integrated Development Environment.
Crimson editor is an IDE, but Codeblocks is a much better one, IMHO.

I use it with the g++ compiler which is much superior to that Borland antique.
This is especially important to someone who is just learning. The g++ is more strict and gives a good error output. Sometimes the thing is down right informative!

kk and are these programmes free?

If you can follow a link, your question is answered yesterday.

kk and are these programmes free?

Why don't you just use Microsoft's Visual C++ compiler (most likely the Visual Studio 6.0 product). It will be easy for you because you won't have to struggle with the Development Inteface as the tutorial handles the graphical part of it and explains how to use the tutorial. I think what you should be worried about now is learning how to code, not new IDE's.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.