Hi. I created 100 dummy mp3s, and I used the id3tool to change the tags on them. Each mp3 is named some number with the extension of mp3 appended to it (ex: 20.mp3). When I click on the file, the tags that I changed appear. What I'm trying to do is only obtain the album name of the mp3 file.

I was told I could do this using grep and sed, but I am not sure how. I was thinking that I could use grep to locate the line that has the album name, but I just don't know how to extract it. An example I guess would be grep Album /home/Documents/id3tool 20.mp3 (this is where the id3tool is located). I think this works, but again, I don't know how to extract it.

The reason why I need to extract it is because I am writing a procedure to create sub-directories of the album names, and then sort the mp3 files. I have the files stored in a TESTMP3 directory. In the procedure, I plan to traverse through the files of that folder with a while loop and create a sub-directory with the Album name. Once the folder is made, I then plan to move the file, renaming it in the process, into the directory. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by joikirk

I'm not familiar with id3tool, but I imagine it grabs some metadata from the mp3 file. If that is the case, you could do something like:

id3tool 20.mp3 | grep Album

Store than in a variable and go from there. If you could post some commands that you are running with output, I'd be glad to help further.

Regards,
Tom

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.