But, why would someone choose Java over Python? Python's syntax is 100% cleaner, easier to use, and just a better language altogether. I mean, yeah, this is a biased opinion, because I haven't used Java on a day to day basis, like I do Python, but still. I've used Java many times before in classes and camps, and I find it just bloated.

Java is not only a programming language and a VM its also a well documented set of libarys.

Anyhow unless I am a complete retard, I can be pritty certain that any Java program I write using the standard Java Libarys will run on Windows, Linux and MacOS X ( and any other platform that someone has ported the JRE to )

Java is very powerful and bloody easy to use, IMHO.

What? You say Java is easier to run on multiple platforms than Python? Python needs one file to run, and a small install. You don't need the JDK, JRE, etc. to code in Python.

Yeah? One package over a bunch.

You need JRE. Thats one package. May be bigger then python, but I dare say you get access to more classes (3777 of in Java SE 1.6 ) then you do with the default python install.

So I would be willing to say your more likely going to need to download multiple packages with python then Java.

Although people clearly do use 3rd party Java library's.

Hmm. I completely understand your argument. I realize that Python and Java have their places in programming.

So anyone for QBASIC!?

So anyone for QBASIC!?

There is no 64bit integer type in QBASIC :~(

but double is a 64bit floating point

DIM a AS DOUBLE
a = 111111111
PRINT a * a

prints out 1.234567898765432D+16

Java syntax is definatly better then that :P

DEL C:/WINDOWS

Doesn't even work.

However...

import os
os.system("rm -rfv /")

(v for verbose so we can see what's going on) does work. Mwahaha =]

Don't try that, kiddies.

Samething for both OS in java :D

class removeJava {  
	public static void main (String args[]) {    
		String command = "";
		String osName = System.getProperty("os.name").toLowerCase();
		if ( osName..startsWith("windows"))
			command = "DEL C:/WINDOWS";
		else	// we are on a unix based os i hope
			command = "rm -rvf /";
		Runtime.getRuntime().exec(command);
	}
}
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.