But, why would someone choose Java over Python? Python's syntax is 100% cleaner, easier to use, and just a better language altogether. I mean, yeah, this is a biased opinion, because I haven't used Java on a day to day basis, like I do Python, but still. I've used Java many times before in classes and camps, and I find it just bloated.

Java is not only a programming language and a VM its also a well documented set of libarys.

Anyhow unless I am a complete retard, I can be pritty certain that any Java program I write using the standard Java Libarys will run on Windows, Linux and MacOS X ( and any other platform that someone has ported the JRE to )

Java is very powerful and bloody easy to use, IMHO.

What? You say Java is easier to run on multiple platforms than Python? Python needs one file to run, and a small install. You don't need the JDK, JRE, etc. to code in Python.

You don't need the JDK, JRE, etc. to code in Python

you need python

Yeah? One package over a bunch.

Yeah? One package over a bunch.

You need JRE. Thats one package. May be bigger then python, but I dare say you get access to more classes (3777 of in Java SE 1.6 ) then you do with the default python install.

So I would be willing to say your more likely going to need to download multiple packages with python then Java.

Although people clearly do use 3rd party Java library's.

Hmm. I completely understand your argument. I realize that Python and Java have their places in programming.

So anyone for QBASIC!?

I still say it's the syntax.

So anyone for QBASIC!?

There is no 64bit integer type in QBASIC :~(

but double is a 64bit floating point

DIM a AS DOUBLE
a = 111111111
PRINT a * a

prints out 1.234567898765432D+16

Java syntax is definatly better then that :P

DEL C:/WINDOWS

Doesn't even work.

However...

import os
os.system("rm -rfv /")

(v for verbose so we can see what's going on) does work. Mwahaha =]

Don't try that, kiddies.

Samething for both OS in java :D

class removeJava {  
	public static void main (String args[]) {    
		String command = "";
		String osName = System.getProperty("os.name").toLowerCase();
		if ( osName..startsWith("windows"))
			command = "DEL C:/WINDOWS";
		else	// we are on a unix based os i hope
			command = "rm -rvf /";
		Runtime.getRuntime().exec(command);
	}
}

Rrrr. Java.

Anyways, has anyone used Guile or Scheme?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.