I am extremely new to C++ and I've been trying to do a few things.

I want to read a file and get all the numeric values. This information is going to be used in writing a binary file. I also want to count how many numeric values where found.

Next I want to create a binary file and use each of the seperate numeric values to insert the value into a binary string at a exact offset.

So something like this number.txt includes
1 - blah
2 - blah blah
3 - blah blah blah

program then takes the numbers out

then writes at offset 150 a list of numbers already pre-determined and puts first number found from the number.txt into the offset that is also predetermined and just repeats this process all the way through every number.

1- (offset 150 start here)010101001(insert here offset 10 insert numeric value here)01010

2- (offset 150 start here)010101001(insert here offset 10 insert numeric value here)01010

3- (offset 150 start here)010101001(insert here offset 10 insert numeric value here)01010

Any help is appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Is what I have for reading and displaying the file but I dont know how to extract the numbers. I know I could place them in some kind of array I just cant find the command.

int readnumber(){

fstream infile;
  infile.open (path, fstream::in);

while (infile.good())
    cout << (char) infile.get();

infile.close();

return 0;

}

Perhaps read the input file a line at a time using a string and getline . Then parse the line of text: you could use stringstream s, but I might go with sscanf .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.