This question is driving me batty!! I am currently teaching myself and enjoying the results of VB6. However, whenever I ask a colleague anything regarding VB the first reply is always the question "Are you using .NET?" and after the answer "No, I use VB6!" they reply with "Ooooh, you should try .NET" and then go on to give varying degrees of reasons why!!!!
AAAAAARRGGH!!Then there is all the talk about VB2008 on the web!!! I knew there were all sorts of VB, but can never seem to work out where best to apply my efforts.
I would say that I probably use VB for the most part to build user friendly database front-ends.I have grown used to dealing with MS ACCESS but would be happy to adapt if only I knew which way to go!!!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

VB.Net is the newer enhancements for the visual basic language. the main vb language came in 1994 and it was included as a member of a software toolkit named "Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0". this version of visual studio also had some other languages like "Visual Foxpro", "Visual Interdev" which are dead now. among from these visual interdev was used to build web based applications using visual basic as the standalone language. now microsoft has released the modern version of VS and also newer technology to build web solutions which is known as ASP.Net.

practically you can apply your knowledge in .net version of vb also. but there are so many changes happened there over vb6. vb6 was object based language but now in .net platform visual basic has been enhanced as a full fledge object oriented programming language. so it offers more practical OOP concepts over vb6. we can apply core concepts of OOP like abstraction,encapsulation, polimorphism and inheritance in vb.net more easily and it maintains the OOP standards. with vb6 we can also do such things but there did not maintain the OOP standards. as .net platform is running on CLR so there is more flexibility in writing programs because you can use more than one programming language under a single environment.

but for beginners starting with vb.net is not so good option. you should start your programming experience in vb6 and then apply your knowledges in vb.net to enhance it. it will help you a lot more than doing it firstly in .net.

Now which version you will choose its completely depends upto you. as .NET is modern and new and having good demand in the technology market everybody is using that.

ok......
hope this lecture will clear some of your doubts.

regards
Shouvik

no many changes in .net. if u good in vb 6, you will get easy way to learn vb.net. vb 6 is structural whereas vb.net is OOP. So to learn vb.net you must to know what is object oriented.

It is always better to go for .Net. It has a lot of advantages over age old VB 6.0. But if you still want to use VB 6.0 ,you can go for the same.

Thankyou all for your time. Got a demo from a work colleague yesterday. He has VB 2005 on his PC. As soon as I got home I downloaded and installed the VB 2008 express edition. To be honest I hadn't associated VB2005 or 2008 with .NET, the source of much of my confusion methinks.
Very sleek, she is too!!
The datagridview which I had populated within a matter of a couple of minutes (codeless)compared well against the weeks of trial and error I experienced in VB6.
I am glad I had my time with VB6 as it seems the hard way is more tutorial. But I am also glad I didn't go on for too long with VB6 as there are obvously quite a few differences to get the old head round and I am now looking to start a clean sheet (carrying through my experience of VB6).
My advice to anyone with the same question I had would be download the Express Edition and see what you think!!After all it is free!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.