Ok, Ive got a program that Im working on, where it is supposed to calculate some formulas that I have based on some user inputted data and display the data in the form of a table on the same screen, and then optionally show a graph of the data plotted out.

Ive already been working on the program to have a few other features, and this is the only thing Ive got left. I would prefer to have the feature to be able to save the table as an excel sheet or a table in Wordpad.

Ive also tried a few tutorials, but I only found one that comes even close to what Im trying to do. http://www.startvbdotnet.com/ado/datatable.aspx

Thanks for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I would prefer to have the feature to be able to save the table as an excel sheet or a table in Wordpad.

Tamir:

Just convert your data to an excel format. To do this you need to have installed the Indexed Sequential Access Methods (ISAM) during the setup of Visual Basic. If you could give a small sample of the data that you want to save that would help. And if you could be clear as to your final goal?

Do you just want the data to be saved as An Excel Compatible file so that you reload it later with Excel?

Tamir:

Just convert your data to an excel format. To do this you need to have installed the Indexed Sequential Access Methods (ISAM) during the setup of Visual Basic. If you could give a small sample of the data that you want to save that would help. And if you could be clear as to your final goal?

Do you just want the data to be saved as An Excel Compatible file so that you reload it later with Excel?

Thanks for the quick reply. The data is basically someone inputs the specifications for a turbine disk, it calculates the values of the various horsepower and power ratings that the turbine is capable of producing, then puts them into a table, so that it shows each set of values based on the rpm speeds of the turbine. And it should be able to do it for about 10 sets of entries.

Well it would be nice to save it as an excel sheet.

I just need some kind of hint or maybe a webpage of a tutorial to get me moving in the right direction. As far as creating, editing and saving to an excel sheet through a VB program.

While not excel specific, this should get you on your way:
http://www.daniweb.com/tutorials/tutorial51307.html

I read through that tutorial, and its not quite what I need. It has some nice features that I could add into my program, but I still need to know how to be able to create, and write into tables.

The first part of the program calculates a set of numbers, so when it does that, its supposed to put those values in a table. When I go to calculate the next set, it should recall those values so that the program can calculate the new values. But it shouldnt delete or over write the values from the first calculation. I have an excel sheet with all the various calculations, and Im trying to convert this excel program into a Windows Application program.

I read through that tutorial, and its not quite what I need.

I think the best examples are found in the VISDATA program that comes with the MSDN CD's. If you installed the full installation, you should be able to load this sample project with the code from this location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\MSDN98\98VSa\1033\SAMPLES\VB98\visdata

This program gives example code on importing and exporting data to and from excel files along with a host of other database tasks.

hmm, I'll have to check that. I didnt know that Visual Studio came with this kind of stuff.

I didnt know that Visual Studio came with this kind of stuff.

The more you learn Visual Basic and other Visual Studio languages, the more you should realize that your most valuable ability is the ability to be able to search through the MSDN documentation and examples to find out how to do what you need to do.

There's too many functions, controls, and features to memorize them all.

Ok I got it sort of to work, but the XML file wont get read, and it gives me errors saying that the data is unable to be written to the excel sheet. Im using the excel sample from the visual studio samples.

On another note, does anyone know how to open a form from another project into the current project?

it gives me errors saying that the data is unable to be written to the excel sheet

Check the file properties. If you copied them straight from the CD, then they will automatically be set to read only.

Check the file properties. If you copied them straight from the CD, then they will automatically be set to read only.

no I got them from the samples that were included with Visual Studio 2008. The folder is Program Files --> VS 9 --> Samples.

Ive tried to fix it and it still wont work. I managed to get Excel to load, and the program embed an empty spreadsheet, but it wont add the data.

Well I got it to load with another xml that I created from the program forms. Ive decided not to bother with excel at all since its all a hassle, but I still need to graph my values from either the form data or the xml data. How will I do that?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.