Hi everyone,
I have a problem with the fundamentals wit serversockets and sockets in java.
In the constructor of the java socket as shown below

Socket(InetAddress address, int port)

In the above constructor what do they mean by address?

In the below java constructor as shown below

Socket(String host, int port)

In the above constructor what do they mean by host?

In the constructor of the java serversockets

ServerSocket(int port, int backlog, InetAddress bindAddr)

In the above constructor what in the last argument?

and how do i create a host name that is unique to my computer. I am using
win 98 by the way.

What i am using currently is a dial up to my local isp and know nothing about it.

Basically what i want is to be able to create a unique host name on my computer and my friend that lives very far away from me and assuming that he already has the socket client application and what is he supposed to enter as his host name to be able to connect to my java serversocket on my computer.

For example the dial up company that i am using is firefox telecoms and the dial up company that my friend is using is jetset electronics.

Thus is there a way i can create an ip address unique to my computer whether online or offline.

I hope someone can help me answer these mysterious questions for me.

My e-mail is freesoft_2000@yahoo.com

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard west

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

This isn't a Java question. You must register with a service like DynDNS (http://www.dyndns.org/) if you have a dynamic IP (which most likely you have, static IP is usually the more expensive business option). You can find out more information about how to set this up at the dyndns website.

Your friend will only be able to access your computer if it is online.

Moderator: please move this thread to "Web Technologies" or "Web Hosting".

Ed

Hi everyone,
I have a problem with the fundamentals wit serversockets and sockets in java.
In the constructor of the java socket as shown below

Socket(InetAddress address, int port)

In the above constructor what do they mean by address?

In the below java constructor as shown below

Socket(String host, int port)

In the above constructor what do they mean by host?

In the constructor of the java serversockets

ServerSocket(int port, int backlog, InetAddress bindAddr)

In the above constructor what in the last argument?

and how do i create a host name that is unique to my computer. I am using
win 98 by the way.

What i am using currently is a dial up to my local isp and know nothing about it.

Basically what i want is to be able to create a unique host name on my computer and my friend that lives very far away from me and assuming that he already has the socket client application and what is he supposed to enter as his host name to be able to connect to my java serversocket on my computer.

For example the dial up company that i am using is firefox telecoms and the dial up company that my friend is using is jetset electronics.

Thus is there a way i can create an ip address unique to my computer whether online or offline.

I hope someone can help me answer these mysterious questions for me.

My e-mail is freesoft_2000@yahoo.com

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard west

This isn't a Java question. You must register with a service like DynDNS (http://www.dyndns.org/) if you have a dynamic IP (which most likely you have, static IP is usually the more expensive business option). You can find out more information about how to set this up at the dyndns website.

Your friend will only be able to access your computer if it is online.

Moderator: please move this thread to "Web Technologies" or "Web Hosting".

Ed

Actually, I need to close this one. I looked over it, and what little Java I know, I can tell, too that this isn't a programming question. Since he already asked this exact same question in Networking, and I answered it there, I'll just close this post.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.