Knowing basic PHP and basicVisual Basic I have decided to move onto C++. I only know the basics of PHP and Visual Basic, I never decided to get to know both languages better. I could do little with PHP as it requires a web server to test it and Visual Basic just seemed to be limited with what could be done. I know C++ is an advanced language and I will committed to learning it as I am only 17 and am looking towards a career in programming. I need someone to help me out with the following:

1. What is a good C++ IDE that can compile my code? I prefer one that is free.
  2. What are some good tutorials for me to begin? Then how would I advance after knowing the basics?

Thanks in advance to all who answer my questions :).

Thankyou,
Luke

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Welcome to the world of C++!

1: I use bloodshed's Dev-C++ (Free)

2: www.cplusplus.com has some good text tutorials and if you search on youtube there is some good beginner tutorials.

I reccomend you buy a book though, good luck

Does bloodshed's Dev-C++ and Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition work on Vista? They both compile normal C++ code? As in I know Mircrosoft Visual Basic and VB 6 have different code.

Dev-C++ works on vista, I'm not sure about Visual (I've never used it) Yes Normal C++ code.

If Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 doesn't work on Microsoft Vista, that's pretty sad for Microsoft.

If Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 doesn't work on Microsoft Vista, that's pretty sad for Microsoft.

Ive tried to install it and it has an error when installing, guess ill go with Dev-C++.

Ive tried to install it and it has an error when installing, guess ill go with Dev-C++.

Eh.. well I guess that's pretty sad for Microsoft.

Personally, I like Dev-C++ for simple console apps (which is what you'll most likely be starting with), but once you get into writing more complex programs, I think Visual is better. Its source editor is a lot more helpful (it tells you what the parameters are for functions as you type them, gives you a list of members of a class when you need them, among other things)

> Does bloodshed's Dev-C++ and Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition work on Vista?
Edward doesn't use Dev-C++, but Ed does run on Windows Vista, and Visual C++ 2008 Express works fine.

Visual C++ 2008 is now installing :). It had an error because Automatic Updating was disabled.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.