My problem is that i can not understand what do they mean by "The application of mathematical algorithms analisys for solving the 'perl calculus' problem".

the perl calculus problem sounds like this:
we have 3 ordinary perls(1,2,3), and 3 magic perls(A,B,C).
Each magic perl can transform itself in the following way:
A-> 1| 2| 3|
B-> 2B| 1A3AC
C-> 2| 3BC | 12A
; and i have to make a program that will say if it is possible to reach a certain array of simple perls given from the key-board,by selecting just one magic perl(ex:21132123;B->2B->21A3AC->21A3A12A->21132123).Which i did.Works just fine.

Q:But what do they want from me saying: apply "mathematical algorithm analisys". What is THAT? I did not use a mathematical algorithm to solve this problem, nor i see how can that give a solution.

Big thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

My problem is that i can not understand what do they mean by "The application of mathematical algorithms analisys for solving the 'perl calculus' problem".

the perl calculus problem sounds like this:
we have 3 ordinary perls(1,2,3), and 3 magic perls(A,B,C).
Each magic perl can transform itself in the following way:
A-> 1| 2| 3|
B-> 2B| 1A3AC
C-> 2| 3BC | 12A
; and i have to make a program that will say if it is possible to reach a certain array of simple perls given from the key-board,by selecting just one magic perl(ex:21132123;B->2B->21A3AC->21A3A12A->21132123).Which i did.Works just fine.

Q:But what do they want from me saying: apply "mathematical algorithm analisys". What is THAT? I did not use a mathematical algorithm to solve this problem, nor i see how can that give a solution.

Big thanks in advance!

Well, you had to somehow pick which magic pearl to use, and after that, you had a decision to make of which of the two or three transformation options to use, and you had to have some way of deciding when to give up, so how did you make those decisions in your program? You had to have some sort of strategy about which pearl/option to try and which you didn't bother to try because you could tell it wouldn't work, so any type of educated step by step strategy, even if it's not that complicated, could probably be called an algorithm. Or you just did the brute force approach. I'm not sure whether that could be called an algorithm or not. Otherwise, somewhere in there you must have had some kind of reasoning regarding how to figure out what choice to use for your transformations to get to 21132123, so I'm guessing you are supposed to write down the steps on paper in English that you took to make those decisions. Just a hunch.

Ok, i actually just talked with me profesor and he said that i should use 2 difrent algorithms:
1. First and Follow
2. Matrix of predictive analisys (or smthing like that).

Any ideias of what those are? Maybe some links to some resources?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.