thanks... u can edit ur quote as well if u would like. :)

thanks... u can edit ur quote as well if u would like. :)

I'll keep it as-is for the record XP

Whats important is that you made the change =)

OK then.. Now this is just completely off topic. :icon_wink:

>i'm not so bad at picking out the experts and arrogant individuals either.
Which do you pick when an individual is both arrogant and an expert?

>do you mind telling me what the difference between a GUI and Application is?
A GUI is a type of interface for interacting with an application. Another interface type would be command-line. Others that come to mind might be an API or a domain specific language.

I usually think of an "Expert Meanie"... ;)

hehehe just kidding...

In order to begin learning about Win32 and other programming languages for windows applications, I see C++ knowledge is a must. But after learning C++ is Win32 a completely different language with similarities. I mean would it require learning a different language that is similar to C++ or is Win32 programming just more complex C++ programming?

Win32 programming definetly requires a a bit of experience in C++, but if you get good at C++, you dont have to worry about learning the Win32 API, its easy. The hardest part I would say is just remembering all the function and macro names because theres just so many :-/
In the Win32 API the switch statement is very commonly used, and its the basic stuff like that which you really need to know.

>I usually think of an "Expert Meanie"...
Well, I used to be an "Accomplished Meanie" until that whole TkTkorrovi episode. That pushed me well into the range of expert. :)

>In order to begin learning about Win32 and other programming languages
>for windows applications, I see C++ knowledge is a must.
The Win32 API has a strong foundation in C concepts, so even if you know C++, you'll find certain conventions to be awkward or even "unnatural" from a C++ perspective. MFC was designed as a C++ wrapper for parts of the Win32 API to fix that. I'd say that C knowledge is a must, but I say that for everything. ;)

>But after learning C++ is Win32 a completely different language with similarities.
Win32 is a library of functions and types that you can use from C++. And yes, it's very different, conceptually, from the basics that you're learning now, which likely uses a command-line interface.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.