Hi, I am a beginner in C++, I was just wondering what is it good for. This is probably a dumb question but I was searching on yahoo and google (What is C++ good for), and I did not find any real answers. What do people use it for? Is there a website which talks about uses for C++ that anyone knows of? What are the PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS of C++ and even C for that matter.

Thank You!

Recommended Answers

All 36 Replies

>What are the PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS of C++ and even C for that matter.
Literally anything. Pick a program and it was probably written in some combination of C and C++, or written with a language that was implemented using C or C++.

But I mean if I got a job which required C++ knowledge, what would they ask me to program? Like I guess it could be anything but what are common practical applications of C++. Can you name a specific program that used C++/C programming.... that people may be using everyday.

>But I mean if I got a job which required C++ knowledge, what would they ask me to program?
You're not very quick, are you? If you get a job writing C++ code, and C++ can be used pretty much anywhere, then it stands to reason that they could ask you to write anything. It depends on what the job is. For example, I don't really expect anyone to ask me to write an operating system, because that's not in my job description.

>Can you name a specific program that used C++/C
>programming.... that people may be using everyday.
Windows, pick any version.

> But I mean if I got a job which required C++ knowledge, what would they ask me to program?
Most jobs will read something like
"You're required to implement the user interface of the new burn-o-matic toaster using the C++ programming language".

In other words, look at what the company does, and that will give you an idea.

Just to clarify, I do not have a job or a job offer anywhere, I am a basically beginner in C++. At the moment from what I know about C++ (very minimal), I started to wonder how C++ is used in the real world...

>Windows, pick any version.

So your telling me what is being displayed on my windows screen is the output of a combination a C++ program?

You're not very quick, are you?

I see what you mean :D

So your telling me what is being displayed on my windows screen is the output of a C++ program?

Most probably.

but howwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :O

I may be slow according to you guys but just finding out that a little command prompt that I have been seeing for the last few days after running a simple program can become something such as a computer display in windows makes me think....HOW

You can make more than just console application using C++, you can use the Win32 API to create visual application. Try googling:
C++ Win32 API or
C++ MFC

Ok i did not see the above post, I will google now, perhaps that will answer the below question which I entered before reading the post by william. :)

By the way is it possible for an expert in C++ to write an extensive source using for example DEV C++ and to run the program to give an output displaying images, colours, and siginficant user interaction?

this is comming from somone who does not know how to program much more than something which would give an output such as

"Type a number"

and the program does some calculations or something and spits an answer:

"2"

And this all happens on a command prompt :)

>So your telling me what is being displayed on my windows
>screen is the output of a combination a C++ program?
I'm telling you that the Windows operating system is written in a combination of C and C++. Most of the programs you run are as well.

>but howwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :O
Not to be rude or anything, but if you're as new to programming as it seems, you won't get it even if we told you. There's a lot of prerequisite knowledge that comes with understanding how non-trivial programs are written. As you learn more about programming and C++, you'll gradually come to an answer.

if I were to rate the responses, william gave the best response. I little use of google about win32 has answered my question pretty well. I never was really asking tell me step by step so I can make my own Windows Vista2..but I think from what it seems I was asking for someone to point out there exists Win32!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!! I have just seen through a tutorial how to make a blank window, now I know there is much more to c++ than just the Black console...Thanks Again, :D

That tutorial might be to advanced for your level, so stick with console applications for a while before trying the Win32 API or you might get really confused :confused:

That tutorial might be to advanced for your level, so stick with console applications for a while before trying the Win32 API or you might get really confused :confused:

haha Yes I know I just started C++ but I was just wondering why should I learn it. I mean I was not getting much from just inputs of numbers etc. I didnt see the point. But now i see as I get better at the basics of C++ I will move onto for example win32 and will be able to make applications for windows. thats awesome!!!!!!!!

by the way im guessing win32 is just for windows applications. Are there others for like Linux or otherssss and im guessing there are even more things you can do with C++ then just making applications :)...

>I was asking for someone to point out there exists Win32!
Yep, that's immediately obvious from your original question of "What is C++ good for?". :icon_rolleyes: If I were to rate your question, it would be along with every other vague question that has no hope of getting an answer without a lot of dumb luck.

oh okay, sorry, I will try to be more clear next time.

By the way I was asking previous your post, is there a different programming approach other than win32 (which seems specifically for windows applications), for other operating system applications? If so can anyone name a few.

from what I have searched Win32 and MFC are for windows
How do people make applications, for example, for Linux?

Im not the person to ask for that, I have never worked with linux before.

>So your telling me what is being displayed on my windows
>screen is the output of a combination a C++ program?
I'm telling you that the Windows operating system is written in a combination of C and C++. Most of the programs you run are as well.

>but howwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :O
Not to be rude or anything, but if you're as new to programming as it seems, you won't get it even if we told you. There's a lot of prerequisite knowledge that comes with understanding how non-trivial programs are written. As you learn more about programming and C++, you'll gradually come to an answer.

Even after 3 quarters of Java and researching c++ extensively as well as coding... I am at the point where I need to learn the UML and at the moment it seems like I'm mixing beans with pickles..

I totally understand what you mean by that bolded comment. When I started looking into UML's I realized that projects are just ideas from one person... they're thought out not just before the design but during the design and even after the design.

Its no wonder that new versions of programs come out fairly quickly.

Wow, this is exactly what I expected from "the friendliest IT discussion community on the web." Seriously, you guys have never started something new?

It seems like you've at least got the knowledge to back up the attitude, so I guess that's good.

salman213, I'm pretty new to this stuff as well, so I'm no authority, but I know how it can seem starting out. The only language I know is Matlab, not something a programmer might like but something that's definitely useful as a researcher (like myself). I remember starting off and using it to perform simple algebraic manipulations. Fast forward a few years, and I've seen complete interactive GUIs designed with it.

The trick is getting the basics down and down well. As a musician, I always equated this part of learning to running your scales. The payoff might be a little vague at that point, but it's definitely there. Grab a book, find a few friends that know the language, you'll be all right.

And this place seems pretty good too, you seem to have thick enough skin.

This book was recommended to me, I haven't looked at it, but the guy seemed to know what he was talking about.

C++ Primer

Off the top of my head, I think the first few chapters should probably be read beginning to end. You seem to not have a lot of programming experience, so it should really help you.

Alright thanks a lot for the book links I will be sure to check out what I can. And thanks Shaun for the motivation and "talk." Most people are nice enough to answer so I don't mind too much if others think I am dumb or anything as im LEARNING and yes as a beginner i am pretty dumb when it comes to C++ :D hahah.. anyways back to basics!!!!!!!! byeeee I guess I should stop bumping this thread now.

I admire your courage salman. When people come and... well.. sort of insult you (no offense to anyone), you simply drive forward with further questions. Keep the same attitude, and you will be as proficient as anyone at C++.

commented: thanks your a very nice person :) i didnt want to bump thread but i still wanted to give u the message, thanks again :). +1

c++ is object oriented programming language,c++ use the concept of reusability,c++ is a good language for very big and complex projects which is needed to be worked by a team.

How do people make applications, for example, for Linux?

To make a GUI in Linux, I use wxWidgets. (also works on Windows, Mac etc).
But IMO it's not really beginners stuff.

On beginning C++
- List of c++ books
- starting c++
- Some braintraining

I guess I should stop bumping this thread now.

No prob. You can post here while your isn't solved. Just try to ask clear questions :)

When people come and... well.. sort of insult you

I didn't see an insult?

Well it's better to learn a multi-platform GUI library than Win32 functions.

For example, Qt, GTK+ and wxWidgets all work on Windows and Linux, and I'm sure Mac too.

I hate Qt though, had a hard time with it. :P

Is a graphical user interface the same thing as an application? Why do they call it GUI (is it a GUI if your working in LINUX and an application if your working in Windows?). Or is a GUI a standard term like a synonym?

Thanks!

Wow, this thread is all over the place, even compared with some of the tangents we get off on normally.

>I don't mind too much if others think I am dumb or anything as im LEARNING
Rest assured, we're generally very good at telling the difference between a beginner and an idiot. But also keep in mind that the programmers most qualified to help you around here are more likely to cut right to the chase and not sugar coat anything. You can find a good description of the "attitude" here.

haha Narue you're a funny woman.., i'm not so bad at picking out the experts and arrogant individuals either. Thanks anyways for the link.

do you mind telling me what the difference between a GUI and Application is? You don't have to go down to the core but just in simple terms.

THANKS

haha Narue you're a funny guy, i'm not so bad at picking out the experts and arrogant individuals either. Thanks anyways for the link.

Better edit this quick... Narue is a woman =P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.