Hello:

Yesterday I purchased MS Visual Studio Standard 2008, installed it on my Windows XP Pro SP2 system after removing VB 2008 Express. I opened a solution that I had created with VB 2008 Express and proceeded to layout my one and only Windows Form. The Application is a VB.Net database front end with only one windows form.

Upon editing the form layout in VS2008, most of the controls fail to display properly in the editor: DataGridView will display without a border and background; GroupBoxes display without the frame.

When I build and run the application, all forms display properly: DataGridView with a background and border, GroupBoxes with their frame.

With the form designer open in VS2008, if I was to drag another application's window over the form in the designer, it will display properly. When I enter VS to continue designing my form, the display of the form will revert back to its flawed display.

I did not have this issue in VBExpress. Any ideas?

I am at work now, so I will grab specs of my computer tonight, but for now, this is what I can remember (and it isn't much haha):

ATI Radeon 9950
AMD 3200+ processor
XP Pro SP2

It might just be your refresh rate in the application -- I recently installed it myself, so I don't know your exact issue. But it might just be your computer going a little slow because of VS being open, and not able to keep up and update the screen fast enough. And when you hover a window over it, and move it away, it is forced to redraw it, so it redraws it correctly.

Don't take my word for it though.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.