I am making a Black jack game and i am trying to make it so that when my label which shows my current randomized valued which is "2,11" if this label = 10 then i would like it to randomize so that my picture box displays one of 3 randomized pictures for Jack Queen and King
Here is my Code:

Public Class Form1
Public YourCards As Integer = 0
Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
Dim TheRandomClass As New Random
Dim i As Integer = 0
i = TheRandomClass.Next(2, 11)
Label3.Text = i.ToString
YourCards += i
Label2.Text = "Your Cards: " + YourCards.ToString
If YourCards > 21 Then
MessageBox.Show("You Lose!")
YourCards = 0
Label3.Text = ""
Label2.Text = "Your Cards: 0"
End If
If YourCards = 21 Then
MessageBox.Show("You Won")
YourCards = 0
Label3.Text = ""
End If
If YourCards > 18 Then
While YourCards < 21
YourCards = 0
Label3.Text = ""
If YourCards > 18 Then
While YourCards < 21
MessageBox.Show("You Tied")
End While
End If
End While
End If
If Label3.Text = "2" Then
PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\2.GIF"
End If
If Label3.Text = "3" Then
PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\3.GIF"
End If
If Label3.Text = "4" Then
PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\4.GIF"
End If
If Label3.Text = "5" Then
PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\5.GIF"
End If
If Label3.Text = "6" Then
PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\6.GIF"
End If
If Label3.Text = "7" Then
PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\7.GIF"
End If
If Label3.Text = "8" Then
PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\8.GIF"
End If
If Label3.Text = "9" Then
PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\9.GIF"
End If
If Label3.Text = "10" Then
Select Case TheRandomClass
Case PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\Jack.GIF"
End Select
This is where i need help this line of code ^ the error "Error 1 Operator '=' is not defined for types 'System.Random' and 'Boolean' " comes up

End If
If Label3.Text = "11" Then
PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\Ace.GIF"

End If

End Sub
Private Sub ResetGameToolStripMenuItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ResetGameToolStripMenuItem.Click
YourCards = 0
Label3.Text = ""
Label2.Text = "Your Cards: o"
End Sub
End Class

If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Well, first may I suggest that instead of creating card values from 1-11 you create card values from 1-14. Because each card with a value of 10 (10, jack, queen, king) is it's own card, and by using a method like this you are actually giving the players a significantly lower chance of drawing a face card. Instead of a 4/14 chance, you only have a 1/11 chance, and then a 1/4 chance of that to draw a specific one. A blackjack program was one of my earliest programs and I didn't realize this until far in. I kept wondering why my face cards would rarely draw :idea: .

Even though this would fix the problem, I know this won't help you fix this problem on other programs, here's the answer to your current situtation.

In your code for the selection of card value 10

Select Case TheRandomClass
                Case PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\Jack.GIF"
            End Select
            'This is where i need help this line of code ^ the error "Error 1 Operator '=' is not defined for types 'System.Random' and 'Boolean' " comes up

You don't have a proper select case function, and the value you are selecting from (TheRandomClass) is just a class, and not an actual returned value. Instead of giving a 1-4 random chance for a 10, Jack, Queen, King. First to set up the random variable that can be anyhing from 1-4:

Select Case TheRandomClass.Next(1, 4)

Now you need to provide a value for the Case to select from:

Case 1
                    PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\10.GIF"
Case 2
                    PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\Jack.GIF"
 Case 3
                    PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\Queen.GIF"
Case 4
                    PictureBox1.ImageLocation = "C:\Documents and Settings\Souter\My Documents\My Pictures\King.GIF"
End Select

Thanks this helped me solve it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.