Hi, I want to build my own simple 2D RPG in Java. Whilst I am new to Java, I do understand the fundamentals of OO programming, and I am quick to learn, as long as someone isn't too impatient.

I just wonder if there is anybody who can check my understanding to see if its correct...

A Class for characters (sprites)
A method which adds points to experience
methods which changes name and stats in general

A Class for a map
Would I create a class which displays the map?

A class for a battle sequence
A method for initiating an attack animation

The main method to create the frame and run the game.

I am going to need some sort of collision detection so that the player can't walk into trees and houses. Would I make the map a background image and the objects such as houses and trees, sprites which can't be walked into? What is the technique (2D) RPG designers use?

Hoping you can help!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Is nobody replying because they have a grudge or because they really don't know?

Is nobody replying because they have a grudge or because they really don't know?

You should do whatever feels the most relational to you. If structuring physical things into classes is the way to go, go for it.

THanks for answering. The thing that I'm really having difficulty working out is how to do the map?

Do you think its a good idea to make it a background image with houses and stuff as objects?

I have reposted this topic in 'Game Development' I just don't know how to delete this post...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.