I am using a xbee rf transmission device and i have it connected to my pc via usb. As per the data of the device the information it recieves comes to the pc as it would be coming throgh a com port. I am now trying to create a program that any time i get in data the program woulfd see it and execute some functions. If anybody could help me with designing a program to read the comm port it would be appreciated

Thanks in advanced

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

See Communications Resources in MSDN for explaination how to do that on MS-Windows. What you might want to do is set up a callback function that windows will call when incomming data is available at the comm port.

i have read over the information you informed me about thanks Another question if i'm gonna program this using visual studio can i have the program running at all times or checking ports at all times

Yes -- one way to do it is to write a service program, which is started when the operating system boots up.

is there any way you can give an example as a test bench to begin i have limited os programming

thanks again

is there any way you can give an example as a test bench to begin i have limited os programming

thanks again

See these google links

ok thanks but after reviewing how to create the service program i'm still lost on how to acces the com 4 port

can you write a service program in c++ the information i have found was in visual basic

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.