Here is my problem. My code consist of two edit boxes: IDC_BOX_1 and IDC_BOX_2. and one button to Execute. The idea is for someone to enter a number in the first edit box, IDC_BOX_1, and after pushing the Execution button, the number in IDC_BOX_1, gets multiplied by two and displayed in the second edit box, IDC_BOX_2. Here is the code I am using. I am using Visual C++ developer studio.

TWO EDIT BOXES and two CString variables:
1.IDC_Box_1 CString m_box_1
2.IDC_Box_2 CString m_display

ONE EXECUTION BOX:
1. IDC_Execute

Here is the code I am using to program the EXECUTION BOX.

void CMyDlg::OnExecute()
{
int z;
CString m_box_1;
CString m_display;
z = atoi(m_box_1);
m_display.Format("%d",z * 2);
UpdateData(FALSE);
}

When I try to use the program, it compiles, but when I input for example: a 3 the output that is displayed is 0, instead of 6. I tried to no avail. So I attempted to code the EXECUTION button differently. This is the second code I tried.

void cmyDlg::onExecute()
{
CEdit * pmnrest = (CEdit*)GetDlgItem(IDC_BOX_1);
CEdit * pmndisplay = (CEdit*)GetDlgItem(IDC_BOX_2);

CString z;
CString y;
CString m_box_1;

y = atoi(m_box_1);
z=atoi(y) * 2;

pmnrest->GetWindowText(z);
pmndisplay->SetWindowText(z);
}
When I input this code, it compiles, but when I input 5 into IDC_BOX_1, and push the Execute button, 5 is also displayed in the IDC_BOX_2, instead of 10. Please help me if you can.

Dave Sinkula commented: U +0

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

GetWindowText, THEN do your calculation, THEN SetWindowText. Your calculation is not operating on anything.

GetWindowText(z); // get the result from the source box
<do math with z>
SetWindowText(z); // set the result into the dest box

GetWindowText, THEN do your calculation, THEN SetWindowText. Your calculation is not operating on anything.

GetWindowText(z); // get the result from the source box
<do math with z>
SetWindowText(z); // set the result into the dest box

Thank you for your help.
Elum

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.