I have two arrays. In the first one I have student surnames, in second the student grades. (One surname one line with grades).My task is to find the arithmetic average for each student and print that student name and grade which have the biggest grade in array. I wrote the program which can find arithmetic average for one student and print his name and grade. Can somebody help to write another part of program? Here is text of my program:

package md4;
import java.util.Scanner;
public class Main {

public static void main(String[] args) {

String surnames[]=
     {"Alksnis", "Berzinsh", "Celms", "Dadzis", "Eglitis", "Zalitis"};
                     int grades [][] = {
            {6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 5},
            {5, 6, 4, 9, 5, 7},
            {6, 6, 5, 6, 6, 7},
            {9, 8, 8, 9, 9, 8},
            {8, 7, 7, 8, 8, 7},
            {7, 5, 6, 5, 7, 6}
        };           
           double result = 0;
            int u;  
            double arifm;
            int i=0,j=0; //i=row, j=column

Scanner input = new Scanner( System.in );

System.out.println("0. Alksnis, 1. Berzinsh, 2. Celms, 3. Dadzis, 4. Eglitis, 5. Zalitis");
                // surnames
    i = input.nextInt(); // read number from user 

System.out.println("priekkshmetu skaits no 1-6");
                u = input.nextInt(); // read number from user 

for (j=0; j<u; j++) //choise how many grades

result= result + grades [i][j];  //summ of elements

arifm = result / j; 

System.out.println(surnames [i]+ " arithmetic average is  "  +arifm );

}
}

Sorry about my English :)

You have a 6 x 6 array of grades. You have the code that computes the average for one person. You need to compute the average for all six, so stick that code into a loop that executes 6 times (once per person). Have a variable called highestAverage . Initialize it to the average of the first person. As you compute each average, compare arifm to highestAverage . If arifm is bigger than highestAverage , set highestAverage to arifm . When you are done with the loop, you'll have the highest average stored in highestAverage .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.