Hi !

I m a new guy in software development. Recently i m assigned wit a job where i got to modify a C++ project built in Visual studio 6 to work in visual studio 2008! any one got any advise where should i start frm?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi !

I m a new guy in software development. Recently i m assigned wit a job where i got to modify a C++ project built in Visual studio 6 to work in visual studio 2008! any one got any advise where should i start frm?

MSDN has a number of documents explaining the changes between the VS versions, see for example.

To get started, you might just simply build the project in VS 2008 and work your way through the errors/warnings, learning the porting issues as you go. AFAIK, generally the porting should not be too much of an issue.

Member Avatar for jencas

Porting code from 6 to 2008 can be very very painful

First question is, why is a newbie been given the job of porting an application?
It can be one of the harder things to do, making something work in a new way without breaking anything.

First recommentation would be to make sure you have a good set of tests, so that you know the ported code is doing the same as the unported code.

As for how difficult it will be, that depends on how good the original programmers were.
It could be anywhere between a cakewalk (just let VS2008 import the project, and you're done), or virtually a rewrite because the original authors were idiots.

Thanx guyz.. i m tryin 2 bulid it slowly...i've got 1 error that i don know how 2 fix...! if any of u can....have a look n plz tell how can i fix this error?

1>c:\test\gpswinsim\gpswinsimdlg.cpp(97) : error C2440: 'static_cast' : cannot convert from 'void (__thiscall CGPSWinSimDlg::* )(BOOL,HTASK)' to 'void (__thiscall CWnd::* )(BOOL,DWORD)'

cheers

nizam

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.