I have been using the book beginning c++ through game programming witch has been a very good book. I've learned loops, references, pointers, classes, inheritance, dynamic memory, and the very basics. Now I need a book that will help me make programs that do things outside of the console window like minipulating files and making project files and stuuf.

Any book suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Try Data Structures and the Standard Template Library by Collins, C++ GUI Programming with QT 4, and perhaps C++ for Game Programmers. Those three books helped me a lot.

I have experience with using Game Programming In C++: Start To Finish (Game Development Series), by Erik Yuzwa, hope this could be help you.

You need to think about what you want to use C++ for. I personally am interested in teh game development aspect of C++, but there are many other route C++ can tke you. so once you've made up you mind you should re ask your question with that in mind. in the mean time go pick up a good STL book and read up on that.

You need to think about what you want to use C++ for. I personally am interested in teh game development aspect of C++, but there are many other route C++ can tke you. so once you've made up you mind you should re ask your question with that in mind. in the mean time go pick up a good STL book and read up on that.

I strongly suggest the books that were recommended to me--

Starting out with C++, Early Objects
Effective/More Effective C++
Inside the C+ Object Model
C++ Templates

-- but they aren't oriented around game development. They're more-so general books for good C++ programming practices, etc.

It might also help if you gained a thorough understanding of objects, data and algorithms. I constantly find myself limited in capability due to the lack of understanding solid approaches to breaking and creating algorithms.

Just my opinion though - take it for however many grains of salt you wish =)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.