Is this book, <JAVA in a netshell> 4th ed, a good book?
http://www.amazon.com/Java-Nutshell-Fourth-David-Flanagan/dp/0596002831/

Has anybody read it? I am a C++ programmer and just want to quickly get started with java for simple JAVA programming. Because I don't have time to read <Thinking in JAVA> at this moment, I just want a book to quickly guide me how to program in JAVA and to get familiar with basic JAVA knowledge, such as how to compile JAVA code in linux, what is JAR, common knowledge of JAVA lib/packages, Java Beans basics, etc.

Would anybody recommend a book? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I've got a new blog started that's helping teach Java to beginners for free. If you're interested, please check it out at How to Program in Java

I've got a new blog started that's helping amatures tolearn for free. If you're interested, please check it out at T 4 Tutorial:
The best place to learn programming online. Learn everything about Java, Python, C and C++ online.

I had a quick look at this and it's pretty simplistic (and out of date) stuff. Why would anyone think it's a good idea to waste time writing tutorials when Oracle have the definitive up-to-date tutorials (not to mention many others from established credible sources)

Not just that, but spamming it on an unrelated 8 year old forum post reeks of bad intentions or at the very least poor judgment.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.