Hello all, I will start off by saying Im in the dark with some aspects of C++, in an intro computer course at college. My question is about how to use char commands for when I have multiple users using the same segment of C++.

ex.

3 users are asked to enter their height etc..... Im not sure how to go about the it for 3, 1 user is easy and I have no problem.

Any thoughts or how to's would be appreciated

Thanks
Pete

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

use an array for your place holder. try doing it like this:
char height[] = new char[3];
this tells char that you are making an array. now, to access this you would do something like this, say to output in the dos-type command prompt of most beggining c++ classes
cout << "Height of 1 is: " << height[0];
the last space in the array is always NULL or \0. they are the same thing. now to just go through the array and print all of them you would do this:
for(i = 0; i < 3; i++){
cout << "Height of " << i << " is: " << height;
}
this would print everything in the array except the last byte which is NULL or \0. later one you will get to dynamic arrays which will be set to \0 or NULL before you start using them. But that is beside the point.

What do you mean 3 users using your program? You're only going to have 1 user to your program, unless it's internet based.

If ya' mean 3 different inputs to teh program:

#include <stdio.h>
#define users 3

int main(void) {
printf("Input %d heights:",users);
int loop = 0;
double temp[users];
while (loop < users) {
scanf("%f",&temp[loop]);
loop++;
}
return 0;
}

Change #define users 3 to #define users x, where x is the number of users your want.

Or something...

Oh no... a While Loop. Run!

paladine, I don't believe your code is in c++. It seems to me like the old structured c.

Well, I prefer printf() to cout. If the guy wants, he can change printf() to cout, and scanf() to cin.

But they do the same thing, so it doesn't really matter.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.