Hello all. I am fairly new to progamming. I have a free C++ compiler(DEV-C++) and i was wondering if this is ok or should i actually buy a better C++ builder. I'm postive everyone will probably tell me 1 of 2 things.
1) Stick with DEV-C++ and come back when you've got more experience, or,
2) Go ahead and buy an actual builder.
ok so heres the question: What should i get? I know even in the long run i WILL buy a better C++ builder but what should i get. it seems some of my best options are Borland C++ Builder or Microsoft Visual C++. which should i get or should i get something else completly? i expect to stick to programming and hope to go to a programming(preferably game programming) college(full sail is the closest thing to me(its in florida) and it looks good but ill need more experience with programming) so what would all you "experts" out there recommend for me. i have a little experience but not a ton. thx
-Arm

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

1) Dev-C++ is sufficient if you want to learn C++ programming. Dev-C++ is actually a GUI wrapper for the MingW compiler. In other words, you're actually usng the MingW compiler. And the MingW compiler is the Windows port of the GNU GCC compiler, and it is very ISO/C++ compliant.

2) I would recommend getting Microsoft Visual C++ .NET. Mainly because its produced by Microsoft, and it supports all the latest features in the latest Windows operating systems. I've never used Borland C++ so I can't comment on it.

i would stick with the free one you got. i have heard that if you start off with visual C++ you will get spoiled and not actually learn everything you need in C++. i am currently trying to learn C++ and im using gcc but im on linux as well. if i was using windows i would probably go with the Dev-C++ that you are using. but thats jst my 2cents :cheesy:

ok thx. ill stick to dev c++ for now and probably get Microsoft Visual C++ .NET later. its hard as is cause i came from a BASIC language so its hard but i am serious about it and im gonna try to learn C++. so thx i just wanted som other opinions.

Hey arm, you got a screen name or somthing? i live in florida as well and learning windows game programming as well. you can IM me at emlottafoots :p

Hey arm, you got a screen name or somthing? i live in florida as well and learning windows game programming as well. you can IM me at emlottafoots :p

Acutally matt, it's New To Programming == ME :); unless of course you were assigning the value of ME to the variable New To Programming, hehe.

Here's my suggestion, which, in the long run will benefit you greatly.

1. Get rid of Windows completely; it's a convoluted pile of propietary goop.

2. Learn C for systems programming and learn Java for OOP. If you wish to stick with C++, just remember this; it's not C and never make the mistake that most people do by grouping it with C (ie: C/C++); they are completely different; in fact, C++ is just a pseudo Objected Oriented Programming language. However, if you want to write code in C++ write in with POSIX in mind.

You'll see why C++ is a waste of your name when you start getting into dynamic allocation of memory at run time; it's beastly and belongs locked in a basement where it can be beaten and starved regularly.

GNU g++ is a great C++ compiler, it's free, and with a few small provisions you can be programming for windows, linux, unix, and OS X all in one go.

lol wow. i've things of windows programming but nothing of convoluted piles of propietary goop. lol
@matthew yes i have a screenname on aim im not on often but add me to your llist anywayz. my sn is WOWzerko23
@subtronic wow it seems you can really help me out. however i want to program games for computers and it seems that windows is the best operating system for game creation. what would you suggest though. im very new(i finished a 2d space invaders game about a month ago and now im workjing on a 3D version(i've gotten the starfield so far lol) what would you suggest i do. i dont really want to dump windows but i still want to learn. oh and wats the difference between c and c++?
thx

@subtronic wow it seems you can really help me out. however i want to program games for computers and it seems that windows is the best operating system for game creation. what would you suggest though. im very new(i finished a 2d space invaders game about a month ago and now im workjing on a 3D version(i've gotten the starfield so far lol) what would you suggest i do. i dont really want to dump windows but i still want to learn. oh and wats the difference between c and c++?
thx

Firstly, you can program 3D games using OpenGl (which I recommend over Direct3D anyday). You can use OpenGL on a Windows platform (because like most Unix-born libraries, they easily port to Windows). There are a lot of great resources on the net for 3D programming (flipcode.com for one) using OpenGL and C and/or C++. Straingt ANSI C is not object oriented in nature (ie: it does not implement objects, inheritance, polymorphism, etc.); C++ does. C++ is a higher level language then C, partly because C++ implements a lot of its libraries with C libraries (which increases the overhead of a C++ program by a lot). There are a lot of little subtle differences between the two, but generally, you'll never find system code or any (great) library or compiler written with C++. C is responsible for such great computer languages like Python, such great libraries like libusb and OpenGl, operating systems (in conjunction with Assembly, which is C's best friend) and much, much more. If you want to see the capabilities of C and OpenGL as viable game development environments, check out Quake 3. The math behind programming games is more difficult then the actual medium you choose, however. A lot of people like C++ and have made successful games with it.

i would stick with the free one you got. i have heard that if you start off with visual C++ you will get spoiled and not actually learn everything you need in C++. i am currently trying to learn C++ and im using gcc but im on linux as well. if i was using windows i would probably go with the Dev-C++ that you are using. but thats jst my 2cents :cheesy:

gcc is a C compiler, not a C++ compiler; use g++

gcc is a C compiler, not a C++ compiler; use g++

My suggestion to anyone learning a new computer "language" is to learn the paradigm behind that language first.

My suggestion to anyone learning a new computer "language" is to learn the paradigm behind that language first.

lol well i'll try. with school right now its kinda hard to really get any reading done(i hate AP classes) but ill try to look around and see what i can find. thanks for all the help

lol well i'll try. with school right now its kinda hard to really get any reading done(i hate AP classes) but ill try to look around and see what i can find. thanks for all the help

cool you'll be really a head of the game if you decide to go into Computer Science when you get to college (I'm guessing you're in highschool because you mentioned AP classes).

hello friends,
this is c++ programmer,i have entered into the mobile computing side(using symbian operating system).If anybody has experience in this field pls
give me suggestions n tips.
thanking u...
From
Raju

yes i am in high school sry i didn't mention that earlier. anyway when i go to college i either wanna go to Full Sail in Florida for Game Programming or i might go to Georgia Tech(if i get hope then i'll probably go here) and do computer science. im not sure yet i just know for a professino i want to go into some ind of programming field(preferably game programming)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.