I hope somebody could help me with a couple of things...

First, I would like to search the /etc/passwd file for the full name of a user given his/her username. i've tried the following command:

cat etc/passwd | grep -w '`whoami`' | cut -f 5 -d ':'

of course that didn't work as grep interprets whoami as a string, not as a command becuase of the ' '.

So does anyone know how i can get over this problem?

Second, i have a text file that contains a names of items, the price, and the date it was purchased. The content looks something like this:

t-shirt|20|-
socks|10|2004-12-10
shoes|40|2004-12-10

the item name, price and date are separated by '|' and the '-' denotes that the item wasnt purchased yet

So what i need to do here is to echo the unpurchased items and then the purchased items, i used grep to do this and it worked.

But to add, what i needed was to add a number before each item as it is displayed on the screen, something like this:

UNpurchased items:

1. tshirt 20

purchased items:

1. socks 10
2. shoes 40

they also need to be aligned as shown, can anyone show me how to do this? Help would be very mush appreciated.

Sincerely,
marco83

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by JamesWhite..

I would address your second problem first. This little/simple script would do your job nicely. Its simple, so you can enhance it as per your need

#!/bin/ksh
count=1
echo "UNPurchased Items"
echo
for name in `grep "\-$" tmp11 | awk -F"|" '{print $1}'`
do
echo "$count. $name"
count=`expr $count + 1`
done
count=1
echo
echo "Purchased Items"
echo
for name in `grep -v "\-$" tmp11 | awk -F"|" '{print $1}'`
do
echo "$count. $name"
count=`expr $count + 1`
done

NOTE: this is the KSH version, if you are a perl guy then you must be knowing ( may be not able to recollect on the top of your head ) that you have the env variable "$." that contains the line number of the input file being read.....just a hint.

Now your first problem. I don't know what prompted you to use those " ' " ( single quotes) in grep.
I don't have a linux box here, i tried on a Sun Box.
cat /etc/passwd | grep ` who am i |awk -F " | " '{ print $1 }'` | cut ------

( you can specify the arguments in 'cut' according to the format of etc/passwd on your machine )

I hope it helps

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope somebody could help me with a couple of things...

First, I would like to search the /etc/passwd file for the full name of a user given his/her username. i've tried the following command:

cat etc/passwd | grep -w '`whoami`' | cut -f 5 -d ':'

of course that didn't work as grep interprets whoami as a string, not as a command becuase of the ' '.

So does anyone know how i can get over this problem?

Second, i have a text file that contains a names of items, the price, and the date it was purchased. The content looks something like this:

t-shirt|20|-
socks|10|2004-12-10
shoes|40|2004-12-10

the item name, price and date are separated by '|' and the '-' denotes that the item wasnt purchased yet

So what i need to do here is to echo the unpurchased items and then the purchased items, i used grep to do this and it worked.

But to add, what i needed was to add a number before each item as it is displayed on the screen, something like this:

UNpurchased items:

1. tshirt 20

purchased items:

1. socks 10
2. shoes 40

they also need to be aligned as shown, can anyone show me how to do this? Help would be very mush appreciated.

Sincerely,
marco83

thanks plavania, im just a newbie in unix so will this script also work in bash?

marco83

Ya , it works. Not sure if you make any changes/enhancements to it. give a try, and if you have any problem please do report. May be i will be of help
Thanks

thanks plavania, im just a newbie in unix so will this script also work in bash?

marco83

ive got new problems, the loop prints one word per line like

1. bond
2. paper
3. (short)
4. brown
5. envelope
6. (long)

when it should print:
1. bond paper (short)
2. brown envelope (long)

i used the following loop for this:

count1=1
user=`whoami`
for name in `grep "-" .ushop.$user | cut -f 1 -d '|'`
do
echo "$count1. $name "
count1=`expr $count1 + 1`
done

the .ushop.$user file has the following text in it:

Pencil|10|-
Bond paper (short)|150|2004-4-7
Bond paper (long)|160|-
Brown envelope (short)|3|-
Brown envelope (long)|4|2004-2-12
Ballpen (black)|9|-
Ballpen (blue)|9|2004-11-22
Ballpen (red)|9|-
Paper clips|20|-
Index cards (3x5)|20|-

Another problem: i don't know how to print the item name with the second part of the line (which should be the price)

it should something like:

1. Bond paper (short) 150
2. Bond paper (long) 160

#!/bin/bash
clear
echo ""
grep $(whoami) /etc/passwd > allf
username=`awk -F ":" '{print $1}' allf`
echo "nombre de usuario: $username"
echo ""
fullname=`awk -F ":" '{print $5}' allf`
echo "nombre completo: $fullname"
echo ""
homeadress=`awk -F ":" '{print $6}' allf`
echo "ruta del home: $homeadress"
echo ""
shellkind=`awk -F ":" '{print $7}' allf`
echo "tipo de shell: $shellkind"
echo ""
exit 0

it's a simple shape for do this excercise, with ot if, else, while, o for,
i hope it could help you.
SUCCES AND GOOD LOOK !!!!

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.