Hi everyone,

I have two weird questions but bear with me for a while.

The first question is about the printing of a styled document using the printable interface. i am using windows 98 and using the windows page format and print dialog. I have managed to print all the contents of the document using the windows print dialog but when i try to print a selected portion of the styled document(windows print dialog has an option of printing selected pages) always only the first page is printed.

This is what i did in my print method

public void printData()
{
//This is the main printing function that prints out the document

try
{

PrinterJob prnJob = PrinterJob.getPrinterJob();

PageFormat format = prnJob.pageDialog(prnJob.defaultPage());
          prnJob.setPrintable(new RTFRenderer(), format);

if (prnJob.printDialog() == false)
{
          return;
}

//The below command line prints out the document if the user clicked Ok

prnJob.print( );
}

catch (PrinterException e)
{
       e.printStackTrace();
       System.out.println("An error has occured");
}

}

RTFRenderer is an external class where i implemented the printable interface

My next question is about the html document i have in a JTextPane and its printing functionality works on all java sdks(ie.1.1 - 1.4.2)
but when i compile my program under java sdk 1.5 update 1 only the text is printed but all the images are not printed but this is not the case on the other java sdks(ie.1.1 - 1.4.2). I find this rather weird.

I was thinking i was doing something wrong in both my questions so i downloaded a third party package called Document Renderer at www.fawcette.com but still had the same results.

I also went to manning website(www.manning.com) where they had a swing book with a chapter(Chapter22) on printing and i used the examples there to do the printing but i still got the same results.

Has anyone ever encountered this before. Could anyone point me to a tutorial or an open source package in which i can print the contents of the JTextPane if it contains either a styled document or HTML document.

I also went to sun's website and could not find out if both my problems is a bug or not and i hope someone can help me with this problem. Please note that no exceptions were thrown in both my problems.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi everyone,

Is there no that can share their experiences with me

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

You said none of the images were printing, how are you reading the file?

I don't know if this will have anything to do with it, but it might :cheesy:

Hi everyone,

I not reading any file in. I directly printing from the JTextPane by using rootviews thus it is something like a wysiwyg JTextPane

Richard West

I don't know much about this, but Im curious. Responding to your first question, is there suppose to be a way you specify what a page actually is in code, or does the print dialog decide this itself?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.