I've done a little simple C++ programming but what I need now is way beyond my capability.

I have a PCI soft modem that is not working. See thread under Hardware "search on Dick."

I've exhausted all machine ideas to find out why it won't work. I'd like to write a program that will watch my ports and memory at the assigned resource points to see what happens when I send a signal to the modem. I'm running 98 no SE.

I've tried debug but I think sending an AT to the modem and then activating debug to look at the memory area changes things. I need to peek at the memory without changing it in any way just after I send something to the modem. I'm thinking "tracing the signal" from point to point.
Is that a large order? My experience in C++ has all been at the command line. I now need to input to the modem and watch at the same time. I have no clue how to do that at the command line. If I use "echo ATZ > com 2", at the command line, and then do a "s" for ATZ, I only find it at the places where debug uses it for the search.

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Dick

you might want to use Win32 Lib functions or even better -> assembly language. Embed it in C++ inline for an easy ride, or make a 16 bit asm program, it is an easy way to read ports.

Thanks for the input. I have been changing the registry using parts and pieces from my XP side to input into the 98 registry. I feel like I am very close to getting this thing to kick in. It appears my PCI is not being told to send the signal to the modem. We'll see.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.