Im wondering if anyone can suggest a solution to my problem. Im simply trying to connect to a database through VB 6 and add a new record and populate one of the fields.
Any help would be great.

The code below throws up error message 'Current Recordset does not support updating. This may be a limitation of the provider or of the selected locktype'

Dim adoConnection As ADODB.Connection
Dim adoRecordset As ADODB.Recordset
Dim connectString As String
Dim RecordSQL As String

RecordSQL = "SELECT * From Programme"

Set adoConnection = New ADODB.Connection
Set adoRecordset = New ADODB.Recordset

connectString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & "Data Source=C:\MyDatabase.mdb"
adoConnection.Open connectString
adoRecordset.Open RecordSQL, adoConnection

adoRecordset.AddNew
adoRecordset!UserName = txtProgrammeNumber.Text
adoRecordset.Update

adoRecordset.Close
adoConnection.Close
Set adoRecordset = Nothing
Set adoConnection = Nothing

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Please take a look at my ADO Tutorial. This will tell you the correct code to us. I'd say the problem is in your connection string, you may need to add a ';Mode=Read|Write;Persist ' segment to the string.

hi there,
i have just being doing then ADO objects in college over the past week and from what i have gathered, you seem to be going quite a long way around this. if you use less codes for this and instead just change properties in the properties window in VB while the ADO object is selected, it can be done easier. just try changing the properties of the connection string and record source.
then code a command button i.e. cmdNew with the Recordset.AddNew command. i will be back at college tomorrow and i will be able to post the full code if this helps :)

Hi, it looks as though in the connection properties that you have selected a read-only connection, hence not being able to update.
try changing that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.