I have a stand alone application In Vb that I would like to redevelop it using Netbeans such that it can run in server based environment.
The Objective is to have it run on a network where I have clients who work from different stations but printing and storage of data are centralized.

How can I develop components, one being used by the clients, and the other being used at the server.( More related to applications used by Bank tellers).

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Well it seems that your application will need to be Network Aware, so you will need to work with Sockets or RMI . Then there are also advances concepts like Web Services and EJBs, but I believe they would be an overkill in your case.

If you don't want to get into sockets and what not as mentioned, you may consider simply developing a client based program deployed to its users using Java Web Start technology (this could be on the internet or a local intranet) and works with an FTP server (apache commons has a good FTP library free for use) to store its data. I know this may not suite your original post 100%, but I figured I'd present the idea seeing as this is the approach I've taken for a project I've been working on at work for quite some time and it's shaping up to be working very well.

using Java Web Start technology (this could be on the internet or a local intranet) and works with an FTP server (apache commons has a good FTP library free for use)

I fail to see the context where the O.P. would want to use Java Web Start or FTP(File Transfer Protocol) ???

I clearly stated that it's not exactly what he's looking for, but I was just simply giving an extra idea which wouldn't require slightly more advanced concepts which he clearly doesn't know yet and clearly solve the issue of deployment across an intranet and the storage of data in one localized place.

Sorry to diverge from the actual topic....Kiel to get exactly what you're looking for follow the links provided in post #2, sorry if my small idea has inconvenienced anyone...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.