Hi, I have a small problem, I am trying to insert a new row into a batabase table using linq to sql.

I have Microsoft publication on Linq but it was based on the beta of Linq and does not match the current version completly.

I have a class P11Entry that is laid out exactly as the db table.

I have the Linq data context named dc

however I am getting a syntax error that I do not understand.

LinqDataContext dc = new LinqDataContext();
P11Entry anEntry = new P11Entry;

anEntry.Week_Number = intWeekNum;
anEntry.Week_Begining = dtWeekStart;
anEntry.EmpID = intEmpID;
anEntry.Gross_Pay = decPay;
anEntry.Tax = decTaxDue;
anEntry.NICs = decNICs;

dc.tblP11.InsertOnSubmit(anEntry);//SYNTAX ERROR

The exception is a type exception and I do not understand why. Please can anyone help?

Thanks for your time.

P11Entry anEntry = new P11Entry;
looks weird, should this not be
P11Entry anEntry = new P11Entry();?
Does InsertOnSubmit expects a parameter of type P11Entry?

Hi there thanks for the response. Sorry you were wright that was a typo. However I have solved the insert new problem, I was using the wrong class object.

However I now have an update issue that I do not understand, the code is similar but has this line instead

try
{
 //Update an egsisting table entry
tblP11 anEntry = dc.tblP11s.Single(u => u.Week_Number == newP11.Week_Number && u.EmpID == newP11.EmpID && u.Contract_Start == newP11.Contract_Start);//Error on this line
if (anEntry != null)
{
anEntry.Gross_Pay = newP11.Gross_Pay;
anEntry.Tax = newP11.Tax;
anEntry.NI_cuntributions = newP11.NI_cuntributions;
dc.SubmitChanges();
}
}

I have not put the catch for the try block in as to see the problem I do not think it is needed.

The problem is the table that is being inserted into has a three part composit primary key. I need to ensure that the correct record is updated.

However the Linq statement is producing an error, of the same type as previously.

Any help would be great thank you.