I need a small code that can read a text file from LAN i.e. through IP address and there is no sharing folder on that pc

is it possible to read a text file read and write on the same time by more than 2 pc
Please help

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi,
Looking at your question I am not sure that it will be possible to do what you want. At least not without first setting up a shared folder unless you plan on connecting to the other computer via another protocol such as FTP (Meaning that you would need an FTP server to be active on that machine).
If you did set up a sharing folder or a network share then you would still need to use the full network address (if it is static, if it is changing then it will make life even more difficult).
Standard read/Write of a file in VB.NET is pretty simple however I have not tested more than one simultaneous operation by more than 1 computer yet... So if anyone knows the answer to that then please let us know lol.
What is the purpose of this piece of code? There may already be a program or otherwise out there already that can help you to solve this problem.
Sorry I cannot be much help but if you need a hand with reading/writing to a txt file in VB.NET then just let me know and I'll send you some code.
ParkeyParker
;-D

I need a small code that can read a text file from LAN i.e. through IP address and there is no sharing folder on that pc

May I ask why you want to do that?

is it possible to read a text file read and write on the same time by more than 2 pc

No. You can open a file in ReadWrite mode but it has to be in the same process

Dim f1 As New System.IO.FileStream("D:\test.txt", FileMode.Open, FileAccess.ReadWrite)

Object f1 can be both read and be written but not from any other process (i.e. second PC).

It is not possible to write at the same time , you can read the file at the same time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.