Hey everyone, I'm trying to find some tutorials for peer-to-peer network programming ( LAN Parties ). I browsed through MSDN for any tutorials, but the only thing they have is stuff on DirectPlay. I would like to know how to connect to another/multiple computers. I've been reading up on Windows Sockets 2 and all they want to teach me is Client/Server programming. If any of you know of some good tutorials for Windows peer-to-peer programming, I'd enjoy hearing from ya. Thanks for view'n

Contributors
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by alc6379

I'm hoping I can provide some insight on this. I'm not a programmer, but I'm familiar with some of these concepts.

Peer-to-peer is really the same as Client/Server, if you think about it. It's just that each host is both a client and a server. So, every interaction between the systems is a mini-client/server relationship. When you're talking a LAN party, (like say a FPS), one machine does act as a server, keeping track of all the game information. This can be evidenced by the "Host a Game" option on most LAN-able games.

So, more than likely, the information you found is perfectly valid, but you just needed to put it in the correct context to effectively use it.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.