IN y application, i have a date shown in textbox control which is extract from database(previously saved in MM/dd/yyyy format).Now i have to compare that date with another date that user inputs from datetimepicker control(custom format MM/dd/yyyy).Now i have to compare this two date and throw some message accordingly after comparision.
my code is like below, which gives error as "String was not
recognized as a valid DateTime."

string textdate1 = textbox1.text;
        string textdate2 = datetimepicker1.text;
        System.DateTime d1 = System.DateTime.Parse(textdate1);
        System.DateTime d2 = System.DateTime.Parse(textdate2);

if (System.DateTime.Compare(d1, d2) < 0)
        {
            MessageBox.Show("date 2 is later then date 1");
        }

can anyone help me for this,its urgent for me.........

Edited 3 Years Ago by mike_2000_17: Fixed formatting

Please use code tags when posting on daniweb.

You can compare dates using comparison operators:

private void button4_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
      DateTime dt1 = DateTime.Now;
      DateTime dt2 = DateTime.Now.AddDays(-1);
      if (dt1 > dt2)
      {
        MessageBox.Show("greater");
      }
    }

If the date is in mm/dd/yyyy then what is your locale settings? Are they american english or something else? This can change the behavior of parsing values. Also -- Which line of code is failing? The textdate1 or textdate2. There should also be a property off of DateTime pickers called .Date where you can get the DateTime value instead of parsing the string value.

Edited 3 Years Ago by happygeek: fixed formatting

Thanks for quick reply & suggestion. well my setting is US English .my problem is actually with the date in string format. which throws error. my question is to compare the date of datetimepicer value & the one from database(which is datetime field and shown as string in front end.) i haven't get correct solution , but its really urgent for me...

Which line of code is failing? Also post a sample of the string you are trying to convert to a DateTime . Make sure you use the debugger and evaluate the .Text property and post that here, not copying and pasting the value from the text box.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.