I am installing sql server 2005 express as a pre-requisite along with my VB.net application setup.

When I run-setup, set-up starts and after 2 or 3 minutes it gives error as follows :

Component SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x86) has failed to install with the following error message:
"The system cannot find the file specified. "

The following components failed to install:
- SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x86)

See the setup log file located at 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD339.tmp\install.log' for more information.

The last lines in INSTALL LOG FILE ARE :

Installing using command 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD339.tmp\SqlExpress\sqlexpr32.exe' and parameters '-q /norebootchk /qn reboot=ReallySuppress addlocal=all instancename=SQLEXPRESS SQLAUTOSTART=1 ADDUSERASADMIN=1'
Process exited with code 2

What is the solution to this ?
Is it possible to run it really or i am doing the impossible?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Please attach the entire install.log

the Install.log is
I have attached install.log file as install.txt

Here is whole content of install log file

The following properties have been set:
Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = Intel {string}
Property: [VersionNT] = 5.2.2 {version}
Running checks for package 'Windows Installer 3.1', phase BuildList
The following properties have been set for package 'Windows Installer 3.1':
Running checks for command 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe'
Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionMsi' and value '3.1': true
Result of checks for command 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
'Windows Installer 3.1' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Running checks for package '.NET Framework 3.5', phase BuildList
Reading value 'Install' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5\1033'
Read integer value 1
Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'DotNet35InstallSuccess'
The following properties have been set for package '.NET Framework 3.5':
Property: [DotNet35InstallSuccess] = 1 {int}
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX35\dotNetFx35setup.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'DotNet35InstallSuccess' and value '1': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX35\dotNetFx35setup.exe' is 'Bypass'
'.NET Framework 3.5' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Running checks for package 'SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x86)', phase BuildList
Running external check with command 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD339.tmp\SqlExpress\SqlExpressChk.exe' and parameters ''
Process exited with code 1
Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'SQLExpressInstalled'
The following properties have been set for package 'SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x86)':
Property: [SQLExpressInstalled] = 1 {int}
Running checks for command 'SqlExpress\sqlexpr32.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'SQLExpressInstalled' and value '0': false
Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.1': true
Result of checks for command 'SqlExpress\sqlexpr32.exe' is 'Bypass'
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'SQLExpressInstalled' and value '0': false
Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.1': false
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'Version9x': false
Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.1.2': false
Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'ProcessorArchitecture' and value 'Intel': false
Result of checks for command 'SqlExpress\sqlexpr32.exe' is 'Install'
Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.2': false
Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.2.1': false
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'ProcessorArchitecture' and value 'Intel': false
'SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x86)' RunCheck result: Install Needed
EULA for components 'SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x86)' was accepted.
Copying files to temporary directory "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD339.tmp\"
Copying from 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Setup2\Debug\SqlExpress\sqlexpr32.exe' to 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD339.tmp\SqlExpress\sqlexpr32.exe'
Verifying file integrity of C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD339.tmp\SqlExpress\sqlexpr32.exe
WinVerifyTrust returned 0
File trusted
Running checks for package 'SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x86)', phase BeforePackage
Running external check with command 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD339.tmp\SqlExpress\SqlExpressChk.exe' and parameters ''
Process exited with code 1
Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'SQLExpressInstalled'
The following properties have been set for package 'SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x86)':
Property: [SQLExpressInstalled] = 1 {int}
Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.1': false
Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.1.2': false
Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.2': false
Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.2.1': false
'SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x86)' RunCheck result: Install Needed
Verifying file integrity of C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD339.tmp\SqlExpress\sqlexpr32.exe
WinVerifyTrust returned 0
File trusted
Installing using command 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD339.tmp\SqlExpress\sqlexpr32.exe' and parameters '-q /norebootchk /qn reboot=ReallySuppress addlocal=all instancename=SQLEXPRESS SQLAUTOSTART=1 ADDUSERASADMIN=1'
Process exited with code 2
Status of package 'SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x86)' after install is 'InstallFailed'

Help me plz :)

What parameters did you exec the installer with?

Try these parameters for testing purposes:

/qb ADDLOCAL=SQL_Engine,SQL_Data_Files,SQL_Replication,Client_Components,Connectivity,SQL_SSMSEE INSTANCENAME=@@InstanceName@@ SAVESYSDB=1 SQLBROWSERAUTOSTART=1 SQLAUTOSTART=1 AGTAUTOSTART=1 SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD=@@Password@@ DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 ERRORREPORTING=1 SQMREPORTING=0 ADDUSERASADMIN=1 INSTALLSQLDIR="%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\"

im not sure but doesnt SQL server only installs if the requiered servicepacks are installed? mibby one of the SP is missing? just a guess but thats mostly why my installer stops after re-installing windows (without updating)

I am not passing any parameters..
The setup runs automatically as I have specified SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS as pre-requisite while creating setup-deploymeny project of my vb.net application.

So when i click my setup.exe it first runs setup to install sql server express as a pre-requisite.
I have added sqlserv.exe which i have downoaded form micorsoft site...this setup i have browsed and added to my APPLCIATION folder along with primary output while creating my setup-deployment project..

So when i run setup in client machine it gives error as i said earlier... one more I would like to say is
when i run the file sqlserv.exe manually then... all goes well in client machine.... it is installled successfully...
in short
if i run the file "sqlserv.exe" directly i.e. manually ..it is installed successfully... but when i run "setup.exe" which installs it as pre-requisite .it gives above error.. error "system cannot find file specified... as i said in previous post
any ideas?

Is your account an administrative account and are you running the installer in Admin install mode? Might be a permissions issue.

Yes... the account is admin account ..
I would like to ask your one more thing...!

When we specify sql server express as a pre-requisite while setup and deployment project....
the list which opens.. is
"SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS EDITION SP2 X86" and we have to select that checkbox and immediate below is option to specify location of .exe of it..... options like download form vendor, download from application project location n ...specific location...
we select second option ... and we browse "SQLEXPR.exe" and add it as files in our setup project....

So i guess the ... the setupfile which i have downloaded "sqlexpr.exe" is not matching with ""SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS EDITION SP2 X86" .........

sqlexrp.exe" is setup of "SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS EDITION" ...its not sp2 x86 as needed in pre-requisite......

Am i right or wrong?

I don't know why you would *require* SQL Server be installed as a pre-req anyway. What if they already have an SQL Server on their network that they use for hosting production applications? In that case you wouldn't want SQL on the client machines and they should connect to the corporate server. But its up to you.

That being said I have never tried to make SQL a pre-req so I have no idea why its' failing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.