Could someone tell me how to include a timer inside of a class? I was trying to set up a panel class that has some generic information in it to be included in many of the form windows included in a bigger project. It would also have some other information of course. But the idea was to create an instance of this class in each form that I wanted the panel to be displayed in. I was hoping not to have to also add a timer control at design time to each form.

So, in the form, I would include this

Private pnl As New pnlGeneric(Me)

Everything else, including a timer.tick event to update the panel, is handled by the pnlGeneric class.

Here was my first attempt at including the timer :

Public Class pnlGeneric
    Private tdPanel As New StatusBarPanel
    Private tdBar As New StatusBar
    Private WithEvents tdTimer As Timer

Sub New(ByVal cForm As Windows.Forms.Form)
        tdPanel.Text = DateTime.Now.ToString("M/d/yyyy hh:mm:ss tt")
        tdPanel.AutoSize = StatusBarPanelAutoSize.Contents
        tdBar.ShowPanels = True
        tdBar.Panels.Add(tdPanel)
        tdTimer.Interval = 500
        tdTimer.Enabled = True
        cForm.Controls.Add(tdBar)
    End Sub

Sub update(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles tdTimer.Tick
        tdPanel.Text = DateTime.Now.ToString("M/d/yyyy hh:mm:ss tt")
    End Sub
End Class

Can you tell me the bigger scheme of the design for your project? If you have each panel have a timer it will create a thread for every timer instance and if you have more than say 8 instances of the panel thus 8+ threads running you're going to murder your application's performance from context switching keeping all those threads in synch.

What you *could* do is have a single timer and have a private shared collection of all instances of the panel created .. and have a single timer poll the list of created panels and run the update code. This would use 1 timer for all panels.

Can you tell me the bigger scheme of the design for your project? If you have each panel have a timer it will create a thread for every timer instance and if you have more than say 8 instances of the panel thus 8+ threads running you're going to murder your application's performance from context switching keeping all those threads in synch.

What you *could* do is have a single timer and have a private shared collection of all instances of the panel created .. and have a single timer poll the list of created panels and run the update code. This would use 1 timer for all panels.

sknake, thanks for the response. At this point I'm not sure of the bigger scheme of the design. I was just trying to play around with some things and learn in the process before developing a more detailed design. Could you provide me with a simple example of your suggestion? Can this single timer be created through the class constructor?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.