I'm trying to make a class called "Sprite", which is supposed to handle spritecards and such. However, I can't seem to be able to get the image height without having an image observer object.
Do I have to pass the image observer from the main class to every sprite class just to be able to get the width?

Recommended Answers

You normally only need an ImageObserver when you are loading an image asynchronously and need to know when it's finished loading (eg in a web page). Once the Image is loaded you just need the Image itself (or a suitable public method in the class that "owns" the Image).

Jump to Post

All 4 Replies

EDIT: wrong answer, sorry

import javax.imageio.ImageIO;

File file = new File("myImage.png");
BufferedImage img =  ImageIO.read(file);
int w = img.getWidth();
int h = img.getHeight();

You normally only need an ImageObserver when you are loading an image asynchronously and need to know when it's finished loading (eg in a web page). Once the Image is loaded you just need the Image itself (or a suitable public method in the class that "owns" the Image).

ps It's OK to pass null as the ImageObserver to getWidth/Height if you are confident the Image has finished loading.
int width = image.getWidth(null);

pps: Crazy Dieter - did you notice this zombie thread is a year and a half old when you tried to resurrect it? (And stupid me for not checking)

Marking this solved. I think the OP has found an answer by now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, learning, and sharing knowledge.