I've been trying to look up an answer to this online, before having to post it to the board. All I've managed to do with what little info I've dug up is to confuse myself.

How does one go about accessing some sort of standard dictionary for C# (or .NET in general) to compare strings with for a spell checker?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

hello kahaj,
You can add WORD.dll in to your project.
The Word.DLL check spelling method would also permit the user to pass custom dictionaries to it through additional arguments.

Man, I hate to sound like such a newb to C#, but I am what I am. I've tried a few different things and cannot figure out where to add WORD.dll in order to use it in my file.

In solution Explorer winodw right click on your project.Click on "Add reference" then in .NET option you will find Microsoft office .word.dll.

Under the .NET tab, I don't have anything that begins with "Microsoft Office" listed.
Under the COM tab, there are numerous "Microsoft Office..." options, but none contain "word.dll". Closest I seem to be able to find is "Microsoft Word 12.0 library" under COM.

Under the .NET tab, I don't have anything that begins with "Microsoft Office" listed.
Under the COM tab, there are numerous "Microsoft Office..." options, but none contain "word.dll". Closest I seem to be able to find is "Microsoft Word 12.0 library" under COM.

Try opening a Word document and keep it open, or open another VS session and create a project of type office document...Then, go back in look in the References->Add dialog of your project in question and I think you will see it. If not, you can use the Browse tab and locate the Word.DLL in your Program Files or wherever you have it installed.

You may also want to visit these links:
http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/...SpellCheckCC.aspx
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/office/SpellCheckUsingWord.aspx

EDIT: I know there was a discussion on using a richtextbox with spellchecker in this forum recently, but I can never seem to get the forum search to work for me...

How it could be possible........
When you make Windows Form Application , then in solution explorer window when you right click on your project.
In Add References option , in .NET tab can't you find :
Microsoft .Office.Interop.Word.
Look carefully , there are many options for Microsoft office ,just add that dll.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.