Hi all,

Got a real pain of a problem. Im using vb.net to write a dll for third party software (PreS) that has no COM interface but allows functionality to call DLL's. But it requires an entry point of UserInstruction. I have been doing some research and have found seen many threads saying that exporting functions isn't avaliable in framework. Wandered weather there is an add on or some work around no matter how complicated it maybe. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Anthony Krajniewski

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Since no one jumps in, let me ask you

Hi all,

Got a real pain of a problem. Im using vb.net to write a dll for third party software (PreS) that has no COM interface but allows functionality to call DLL's.

do you mean that the dll you are creating suppose to get interact with another dll?

exporting functions isn't avaliable in framework.

What do you mean by "exporting" ?

Sorry if I am not making it clear, No the program trying to access the dll is not another dll the third party software requires a DLL to contain a function named UserInstruction. I know how to create a dll and function named UserInstruction but I need the function to become accessable outside the bounds of the dll. Think the technical term for this is exporting the function. I know this is possible in C or C# but I dont really have time to learn these languages. Basically the third party software opens a dll and searches for a function called UserInstruction.

Sorry if I am not making it clear, No the program trying to access the dll is not another dll the third party software requires a DLL to contain a function named UserInstruction. I know how to create a dll and function named UserInstruction but I need the function to become accessable outside the bounds of the dll. Think the technical term for this is exporting the function.

And you are still not clear for me :)

I know this is possible in C or C#

Well, I know how to declare a variable in C (not all :D)
but what concern to C# any thing C# can make vb.net can make.

Basically the third party software opens a dll and searches for a function called UserInstruction.

you mean the dll is exist? and you want to use it?

Thanks for all your replies setting the DLL up with COM interface will not help as the software Im using doesn't support COM it looks like the only option is to learn a language that doesn't use Framework,.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.