ok, so here's the deal. i'm a bit confused about .sdf and .mdf files, i know i should post this in databases, but the topic is also relevant here so i'll just get right to it.

1. I'm working on an inventory project which will be a standalone, so i decided to add a dbase to it (.sdf, naive me) and i want to connect to it and write to the dbase via code behind but i don't know how. a friend looked at it and ridiculed me for using the .sdf. he said i should have used .mdf and he gave me this code to work with:

#region PRIVATE OBJECTS
        //sql command objets
        private SqlCommand myCommand;

//sql connection obj
        private SqlConnection myConnection;

//sql adapter obj
        private SqlDataAdapter myAdapter;
        #endregion

public Add_Client_Employee()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
        }

private void SaveBtn_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            if (ClientRBtn.Checked)
            {
                if (!Name_Tb.Equals("") && !Location_Tb.Equals("") && !Contact_Tb.Equals(""))
                {
                    //insert client info into dbase
                    //notice -- create a class for connection open and close

myConnection = new SqlConnection(@"Data Source=C:\Users\Soft-tribe\My Docs\Bakery_Inventory\Bakery_Inventory\Bake.sdf");
                    myConnection.Open();

myCommand = new SqlCommand();
                    myCommand.Connection = myConnection;

myCommand.CommandText = "insert into table_client values('" +
                                            Name_Tb.Text + "','" + Location_Tb.Text + "','" +
                                            Contact_Tb.Text + "')";

//myConnection.Open();
                    if (myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() > 0)
                    {
                        MessageBox.Show("insert successful");
                    }
                    myConnection.Close();

}
            }

which i changed to

#region PRIVATE OBJECTS
        //sql command objets
        private IDbCommand myCommand;

//sql connection obj
        private IDbConnection myConnection;

//sql adapter obj
        private IDbDataAdapter myAdapter;
        #endregion

the program runs to the point where it has to open the dbase and it gives me a 'database not found' error.

2. i tried to add an .mdf file to it so i could redo the dbase again, but it gave me a 'generating user instance is disabled'.

3. Another friend said why don't i just build the dbase in sql and connect to it. which means the client must have an sql server to connect the program to. but that is not what i had in mind

so please people advice me on what to do and how to solve this issue, cos this life is killing me.

.sdf file are called embedded database Compact edition. Compact Edition is a compact database for embedding in mobile and device applications.

Use .mdf for your desktop applications.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.