I am trying to write and read to file. I am experimenting with a small piece of code before going onto my main program.

I am simply trying to write a float variable and a String variable to file using fstream.

The variables are

float version;
Edit1->Text (this is c++ builder edit box) (text is set to "edit1" for this test)

The code I have so far is:

For saving the two variables:

AnsiString fn = SaveDialog1->FileName; //save filename into a format fstream can use
fstream file(reinterpret_cast<char*>(&fn),ios::out|ios::binary);//open file
file.write(reinterpret_cast<char *>(&version),sizeof(float));//write version 
//now load edit1 into the file
 int length=Edit1->Text.Length()+1;//get length of string
 char *cp = new char[ Edit1->Text.Length() + 1 ];
 StrCopy( cp, Edit1->Text.c_str() );//copy string to char for fstream
file.write(cp,length);//now write string

For Loading the two variables

AnsiString fn = OpenDialog1->FileName;
fstream file(reinterpret_cast<char*>(&fn),ios::binary|ios::in);//open file
file.read(reinterpret_cast<char *>(&version),sizeof(float));//read in version 
char cp[6];//create array for recieving string in the format of char array
file.read(cp,length);//read in array
Edit1->Text=cp;//write the value back to test

<< moderator edit: added [code][/code] tags >>

I have two problems with this. First I have to set char cp[6] in the load function to 6 manually, (which is the size of the text+1). How can I do this in runtime without knowing what length the user will write. I have tried setting char cp[256], but when I put this back to Edit1->Text I just get garbage.

Second problem. This works fine if I only run Load function once. If i run load function again I then get garbage going into Edit1->Text. If i close program, run again and then run load function its fine (untill i run function again)

Any ideas??

>I have two problems with this.
No, you have one big problem. Binary reads and writes are undefined on non-POD classes, such as AnsiString. You would be better off avoiding binary oriented files until you know what the pitfalls are.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.