Hey everyone,

For my project, I need to write an assembly/C code to detect multiprocessors. I really have no idea how as I have barely done assembly coding and I have no good reference or even idea how to start. Again, what I am going to do is, I'm trying to find how many processors on dual core or quad core chips there are and detect them and later on use them. Please help me out here.

Thanks a lot.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hey everyone,

For my project, I need to write an assembly/C code to detect multiprocessors. I really have no idea how as I have barely done assembly coding and I have no good reference or even idea how to start. Again, what I am going to do is, I'm trying to find how many processors on dual core or quad core chips there are and detect them and later on use them. Please help me out here.

Thanks a lot.

That is the kind of thing an operating system would do at boot time; I am not sure how a normal application program would do it. An OS would probably do it either by looking at the ACPI tables or else by making use of the multi-processor specification:

http://www.intel.com/design/pentium/datashts/24201606.pdf

Hey everyone,

Thanks a lot.

Can you use the opcode cpuid to query the functionality of the processor because I'm looking at the AMD doc's and cpuid provides Logical processor count

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.