I wrote my own sha implementations but i cant get them to read files correctly. i know to use

open(file,'rb').read()

as the input into the algorithm, but

import hashlib
hashlib.sha1(open(file,'rb').read()).hexdigest()

and my code

sha_1(open(file,'rb').read())

return two different hashes.
any idea why? i know that a normal string will have the correct output, so why would the string of a file be any different?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

You said that when you hash a string (not a file) that your algorithm and the sha1 library come back with the same results? That's awesome! You're definitely close.

What length of string are we talking here? I seem to remember thinking that SHA1 breaks files down into smaller blocks when it hashes them. Perhaps you should write a loop that will keep making a string longer and longer and report back if your hash is different from SHA1.

any length string will return the correct data. i wrote it according to NIST's paper, which pads the input to suit SHA-1. and yet, it wont run properly for files, even after i change the program to read files

should i post the code? too bad i cant just put my site's url so that people can just download it

any length string will return the correct data. i wrote it according to NIST's paper, which pads the input to suit SHA-1. and yet, it wont run properly for files, even after i change the program to read files

should i post the code? too bad i cant just put my site's url so that people can just download it

When you reply you should find an option to put in a link. You can also attach a file to your post so that you don't have to make a gigantic post with all of the code in it.

isnt there some rule about not putting links into the forums in the "member rules"?

in any case:

http://calccrypto.wikidot.com/local--files/hash:sha-1/SHA%201.zip

play around with it. see if you can get the same outputs for files with IDLE and with the program. if you do, please tell me what you did

On my system (which is running Ubuntu linux) your code is working as expected for small files.

From the command line I created a small file using the touch command and put a small amount of data in the file.

touch myfile
echo "what" > myfile

Then I used the sha1sum command, which is included with most linux distributions to find out what the hash of the file should be according to a known good application.

`kevin@kevin-laptop:~/Downloads$ sha1sum myfile`
`c4f606d775c7f99d172548df49a2109a656a7b11  myfile`

Then I opened up a terminal window and ran your code.

>>> import sha1

>>> infile = open('myfile','rb')
>>> print sha1.SHA_1(infile.read())
    c4f606d775c7f99d172548df49a2109a656a7b11

When I ran the code against a larger file the results were not the same. This inclines me to believe there might be something wrong with your implementation.

any idea what it is? i got rid of the part that would have messed up the calculation if the input size was a factor of 448 or 512. i cant find a good reason for why its messing up

Would the non-ASCII chars have any effect on the program?

Unfortunately I don't understand the encryption algorithm well enough to figure out where you code is going wrong.

Have you considered looking at the source code for some other implementation of SHA1?

I took a look at the hashlib.py file (which is where python implements sha1) and it looks to me like it is just calling the C implementation. Then I looked around and found the source code for the C and C++ implementation. It wont be as easy to understand, but it might help you to identify if there is an error in your code.
http://www.packetizer.com/security/sha1/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.