Long story sort, I'm making a thread in c++ that starts a timer.
When a user starts playing the game, it starts the thread, and when user logs out - thread stops. - thus giving me the total time played.

Problem:
When using the code to start the thread -

hThreads[0] = CreateThread(NULL,0,Timer,(LPVOID)0,NULL,&id[0]);

it only works when I place this code into int main()

when I try and place the line where i need the thread to start - void start() - I get this error:

110 main.cpp [Warning] passing NULL used for non-pointer converting 5 of `void* CreateThread(_SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES*, DWORD, DWORD (*)(void*), void*, DWORD, DWORD*)'

Any ideas? Thanks alot

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Try using a thread like this, and events to halt the thread:

#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>

DWORD WINAPI myfunk(LPVOID input)         // The actual Thread
{
    HANDLE VENTE = (HANDLE) input;    
    Sleep(1000);                          // Sleep for 1 sec
    SetEvent(VENTE);                      // Send a signal to main, asking it to go beyond the WaitForSingleObject
}

int main()
    {
    HANDLE event = CreateEvent(NULL, FALSE, FALSE, NULL);  // Create a event as HANDLE 
    CreateThread(NULL, 0, myfunk, (LPVOID) event, 0, NULL);// Creat a thread and call it myfunk, pass the event to it

printf("Waiting for the thread...\n");     // Screen output
    WaitForSingleObject( event, INFINITE );// Wait for "SetEvent(hEvent);"   

system("PAUSE");                       // Pause
    return 0;                              // Exit
}

For your code, simply edit the event, and add a WaitForSingleObject to the thread, and let main pass a continue when needed.

About creating a thread inside a function then this works out:

/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/*--------------------------------HEADER--------------------------------------*/
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
#include <iostream>
#include <windows.h>

using namespace std;

/*--------------------------------THREAD1-------------------------------------*/
DWORD WINAPI Thread1(LPVOID lpParam)
{
while(1){cout << "1";}
}

/*--------------------------------THREAD2-------------------------------------*/
DWORD WINAPI Thread2(LPVOID lpParam)
{
while(1){cout << "2";}
}

/*-----------------------THREAD CREATION FUNCTION-----------------------------*/
void Thread()
    {
    CreateThread(NULL, 0, Thread1, NULL, 0, NULL);
    CreateThread(NULL, 0, Thread2, NULL, 0, NULL);
    }

/*-------------------------------MAIN PROGRAM---------------------------------*/
int main ()
    {
    Thread();
    system("PAUSE");
    return 0;
    }
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.