Hey...

I've written a program that changes a single character from uppercase to lowercase and viceversa but I want to change a whole word from uppercase to lowercase and viceversa

how do I do that?

#include <cctype>
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  for (int i=1;i<=10;i++){

char ch;

cout<<"Enter a character: ";
  cin>> ch;

if ( isalpha ( ch ) ) {
    if ( isupper ( ch ) )
      cout<<"The lower case equivalent is "<< static_cast<char> ( tolower ( ch ) ) <<endl;
    else
      cout<<"The upper case equivalent is "<< static_cast<char> ( toupper ( ch ) )<<endl;
  }
  else
    cout<<"The character is not a letter"<<endl;

while ( cin.get ( ch ) && ch != '\n' )
    ;
}
 system("pause");
 return 0;
}

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Go through the word character by character and change each character to upper or lower case using toupper or tolower from cctype. There is no toupper or tolower function that takes a string as a parameter and converts the whole string.

I'm sure many people have written one, but it's not a standard function.

I'm sure many people have written one

Here's mine:

#include <iostream>
#include <algorithm>
#include <string>
#include <cctype>

struct upper {
  int operator() ( int c )  
  {
      return toupper ( static_cast<unsigned char> ( c ) );
  }
};

struct lower{
  int operator() ( int c )  
  {
      return tolower( static_cast<unsigned char> ( c ) );
  }
};

int main(){
    std::string str = "Test StrinG";
    std::transform(str.begin(),str.end(),str.begin(),upper());
    std::cout << str;
    std::transform(str.begin(),str.end(),str.begin(),lower());
    std::cout << str;
    return 0;
}

Which flavor of c++ are you using? I use VC++ for work and I use the MakeLower() function on strings.

Also, here's a dreamincode thread about a similar issue.

Which flavor of c++ are you using? I use VC++ for work and I use the MakeLower() function on strings.

I wasn't thinking about flavors. I was thinking about the standard libraries listed here that are available to everyone and are portable:

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/

I know of no function in this set of functions that will do the job. But you're right. Visual C++ will have a lot of things beyond that. You can also look at the Boost functions. They could be in there too.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.