When I installed windows 7 I opted to do a fresh clean install, but the key I purchased was an upgrade key and required that I performed an upgrade. The disk itself was bootable so I performed a clean install and modified some registry keys and ran a vb script in the system32 folder and this enabled me to enter my upgrade key to activate window even though the system knew I performed a clean install.

This isn't illegal, Its just a workaround. Since I had a legal copy of windows to upgrade from, I didn't break the EULA. I decided to automate this by writing a little application that applies the patch automatically. I am 90% sure it works, but I can't test it. So if anyone out there is about to install windows 7 with a clean install from an upgrade key. Please try out my patch and tell me if it works!

Thanks.

All I did was look at this post and I hear sirens outside--just kidding. :D I can't wait to hear about everyone's experience once 7 has been out there a while...

Out of curiosity, unless it is intended for network upgrades, what is the effective advantage of automating this?

Edited 7 Years Ago by DdoubleD: n/a

Some people just aren't comfortable with editing the registry or running vb scripts. It only takes about 5 minutes to do it manually, but with this little app it takes about 10 seconds. So instead of saving a url with instructions and consulting them 10 times. You just download this exe, open it. It automatically prompts for elevated privileges and then you just click a button and a few seconds later, its done.

It only took about 30 minutes to write, I mean its not rocket science, and since all my friends and family will be consulting me on the upgrade I figured why not just throw the workaround into a one click solution.

and since all my friends and family will be consulting me on the upgrade I figured why not just throw the workaround into a one click solution.

LOL, good idea.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.