Never done this before, but here goes...
I write VB6 applications and have had little problem installing them on computers at office sites scattered across the country. Now the IT people are putting the clamps down on "non approved" apps and will not give anyone admin rights to the pcs. Is there a way to install an application on a USB drive that can be used on any computer? I tried it once but there are files that need to be referenced in the registry, which won't work. Is there a way to make an exe file that contains all of the objects and app extensions built into it or a way to just tell the app these additional files are in the same folder as the application?

I long for the days of creating an exe, placing it in a folder and off we go! But that may date myself.

Hope this makes sense.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Never done this before, but here goes...
I write VB6 applications and have had little problem installing them on computers at office sites scattered across the country. Now the IT people are putting the clamps down on "non approved" apps and will not give anyone admin rights to the pcs. Is there a way to install an application on a USB drive that can be used on any computer? I tried it once but there are files that need to be referenced in the registry, which won't work. Is there a way to make an exe file that contains all of the objects and app extensions built into it or a way to just tell the app these additional files are in the same folder as the application?

Nope. VB uses too many dll's and ocx's and such that have to be installed into a system to be useful.

I long for the days of creating an exe, placing it in a folder and off we go! But that may date myself.

You and me both! Those were the days, my friend!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.