marcel222 0 Newbie Poster

Hello,

My name is Marcel and I am new on this forum, I have a question about the following:

I am working on a 16 bit application for a AM186ES processor (x86 compatible), this processor has no internal ROM or RAM. My application will be stored on a PC-Card from which the processor directly can execute the code.
One purpose of the program is to test the RAM memory which is externally mounted on the PCB next to the AM186ES, now is my question, how can I create stack after I have tested my RAM memory, the standard keyword STACK declares the stack before the program is executed, but I want to create the stack (dynamically) after my program has checked the RAM memory.

Another question, how does my AM186ES now where to create the stack, it can address max 1 MB but it is connected to a flash as well, how does the AM186ES know at which address the RAM memory is located? Do I need to set the ss register to the (base) addres of the RAM?

And the last question, I have declared some global variables in my data segment, does the AM186ES store this variables on the stack or on my PC-Card? If on my stack, how can I delay this till my RAM is checked, as mentioned above.

I use a TASM compiler for the project.

Thanks for your help,

Marcel

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.